Steering Position Sensor Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice, or tips on replacing one of these? I replaced this one once before but I also replaced the intermediate steering shaft. So I disconnected it from the engine bay side. I've watched a couple of videos and they go at it from inside the cabin. Tape the steering wheel straight and support it from cargo straps around the roof. Then loosen the dash a bit. I might add the last one failed in one day but it might have been a counterfeit or Dorman. Not genuine AC Delco.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I've done it twice and both times I have taken off the steering column to change it out.

If you do remove the steering column donot pull the pin until after you reinstall the column and the wheels are straight.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done it twice and both times I have taken off the steering column to change it out.

If you do remove the steering column donot pull the pin until after you reinstall the column and the wheels are straight.

Thanks, last time I bungee'd the steering wheel straight. Think maybe that wasn't good enough. This time I plan on using the duct tape trick I saw on one of the videos. I know you need to leave the pin in until the last. But, how do you tell if the wheels and steering wheel are perfectly straight? How much forgiveness is there?

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Thanks, last time I bungee'd the steering wheel straight. Think maybe that wasn't good enough. This time I plan on using the duct tape trick I saw on one of the videos. I know you need to leave the pin in until the last. But, how do you tell if the wheels and steering wheel are perfectly straight? How much forgiveness is there?

I'm not sure how much forgiveness there is but the first time I did. I did the best I could and it worked fine until the part gave away. The second time (2020) I zeroed out the degress using the Tech 2, taped the column made some marks on the intermediate and started the disassembly.

If you are off a bit the dealer can alight the steering to match the steering degrees. Basically they zero out the steering using the Tech2 and adjust the outer tie rods to have the required alightment.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much forgiveness there is but the first time I did. I did the best I could and it worked fine until the part gave away. The second time (2020) I zeroed out the degress using the Tech 2, taped the column made some marks on the intermediate and started the disassembly.

If you are off a bit the dealer can alight the steering to match the steering degrees. Basically they zero out the steering using the Tech2 and adjust the outer tie rods to have the required alightment.

Yeah but what does a dealer charge for that? My local dealer quoted me $500 just to scan it.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently bought a Millennium 90 to kinda cover all my vehicles. I know it reads wheel speed sensors but I'll have to look at it again to see if it reads wheel centering. I know it says the Wheel Position Sensor is bad. But yeah, when you can buy the same tool the dealer uses for less...

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I changed it today without too much trouble and I'm happy to say there are no warnings anymore. But, now it's not reading any tire pressures. Since I had the battery disconnected I wonder if they needed to be reset. So I went by the book, ignition on, cycled light switch 3 times until it honked twice, and started letting air out of the DS front tire for 10-15 seconds. Nothing. Is there a fuse that's out or something?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Recently replaced mine doing it the way @ivin74 described. Beer was involved too and seemed to make it go faster.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_1(45).jpg
    imagejpeg_1(45).jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 11
  • imagejpeg_1(47).jpg
    imagejpeg_1(47).jpg
    156 KB · Views: 8
  • imagejpeg_1(48).jpg
    imagejpeg_1(48).jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No beer involved for me on this today, it was before noon. Any advice on the TPMS not reading?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins