Steering Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmeachem

Reaction score
Went to adjust my steering, (way too loose above 60mph) and the locking nut is on super tight. I know you’re supposed to hold the allen while you loosen but how can I do that if a open and cant break the locking nut loose. Could I mark it, break it loose with rachet then move the allen back to where it was, then tighten?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure you can BUT you do NOT want to get it all out of adjustment! It should be a 16mm nut and 3/16" allen. Put a cheater on a 16mm closed end wrench.

OP
OP
mmeachem

mmeachem

Reaction score
Sure you can BUT you do NOT want to get it all out of adjustment! It should be a 16mm nut and 3/16" allen. Put a cheater on a 16mm closed end wrench.
Yeah definitely don’t want to mess it up but not sure how to fit a cheater down there at all

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Spray some penetrating fluid on it and let it soak and repeat the spray several times. Even if you break it loose you also have to have the allen adjuster turn inside of it as well. Any adjustments you make should be very small and watch a you tube to see how it is done. Several test drives will be needed. Too far and you damage the gear box. By the way, did you do a complete accurate inspection of the steering linkages and suspension? If not, why not? If so it would be beneficial to tell us that you have done the basics first before attempting a gear box adjustment. People asking for help should get used to making sure they share all info with us and not just bits and pieces.

OP
OP
mmeachem

mmeachem

Reaction score
Spray some penetrating fluid on it and let it soak and repeat the spray several times. Even if you break it loose you also have to have the allen adjuster turn inside of it as well. Any adjustments you make should be very small and watch a you tube to see how it is done. Several test drives will be needed. Too far and you damage the gear box. By the way, did you do a complete accurate inspection of the steering linkages and suspension? If not, why not? If so it would be beneficial to tell us that you have done the basics first before attempting a gear box adjustment. People asking for help should get used to making sure they share all info with us and not just bits and pieces.
Appreciate the input and all of my front end part were replaced last year. Had an alignment done too but still not happy with the way the steering feels. My friend with a surburban even said it’s a bit loose. I’ll try the penetrating fluid and see. Thanks

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Bear in mind that any time you move that large locking nut and the allen adjust is stuck inside at the threads, the allen will move the exact amount as the locking nut and if you tighten the locking nut back the allen will still be at the same previous adjustment. Once you get the lock nut and the allen to move independently of each other, that is when ANY adjustment actually takes place. I would recommend small 1/8 turns at a time when tightening the allen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n