Stay Away From The 2-3" Rough Country Suspension Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just posting this to warn everyone to not waste your money.

I put this kit on my Tahoe around January. Ever since it got put on ive had problems. The main ones being the shocks give a horrible stiff ride (I even got the "upgraded" Nitro shocks) and the other being the biggest problem and that's with the shock relocation bracket. I just recently found out its been the cause for both of my cv shaft boots ripping and my brakes going soft. This kit is horribly designed and the main reason why im just now posting this thread is because I just got off the phone with a guy from Rough Country and he told me himself that the kits SUCK and he tries his hardest to not sell them to people and when he does he said he doesn't like to give out his name lol. Not even kidding. The guy was being completly honest with me. And on top of that a friend of the mechanic that just replaced the cv shafts on my tahoe said he had the EXACT same problem almost 10 years ago on an OBS pickup and ended up taking the kit off.

Here's some pics to show you guys what exactly is going wrong. As you can clearly see when I turn the shock relocation bracket tears into my cv shaft boot and also presses in on the brakes on the opposite side, which makes them go soft and sometimes they sink to the floor, like there's air in the line. Luckily nobody has been in front of me or I could very easy rear-end someone. Just do yourself a huge favor and don't waste your time and money with this kit. I payed over $600 for the kit, $500 including alignment for labor putting it on, and i just payed $100 for new cv shafts plus $200 labor and it looks like the boots are gonna get ripped again before I find a solution so that'll be another $300 im gonna have to pay. Just a warning so you're not out $1700 for just 2" of lift and a ****** ride like me...

2011-06-11_16-10-31_138.jpg

2011-06-11_16-10-20_471.jpg

2011-06-11_16-10-47_763.jpg

2011-06-11_16-11-07_895.jpg

I'm not trying to dog Rough Country either, the guy was extremely nice, honest, and he's gonna help me find a solution to this problem. And from what ive heard from guys on here there other kits are pretty decent. Just stay away from this one.

Last edited:

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That explains the CV binding. Holy shit. Good to know, but sorry that you went through this.

I hate to ask but are you considering upgrading to the 6" kit and uncranking it to about 4"? The upper control arms on there are nice at least and would be great it cranking the 4-6" kit up around 7" or so.

Back on topic, I am glad you figured this out before it ended in a crash or something.

OP
OP
Brandon X

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to upgrade to the 6" lift and not even uncrank to 4" but leave it at 6" and put some 35s on but I just can't. I've wasted too much money on this lift alone, I don't even wanna think about putting another couple grand into a 6" lift.

This horrible experience with there lift, combined with the rust that just gets worse and worse has made me stop putting money into my tahoe mod-wise. All im gonna do is fix the small things like my driver side wiper, door locks, stuff like that and keep up on the rest of the maintenance. I'm over the 26s too. I wanted them with white spokes and a chrome lip but every painter is too afraid to paint them so I don't want them anymore. Having big all chrome rims ruined the look I was going for. I'm selling them when I take them off for winter and buying 33" BFG mud terrains for my Cragars and keeping those on year round.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THAT EFFIN SUCKS!

I know it sucks but you have to take it to a shop that specializes in lifting vehicles and have work done to prevent the boots ripping.

My friends own an off road custom shop and he does that kind of work all the time mostly on Dodges tho. Assuming a simple fix, here in NY he usually charges 3-400 to get it right.

Rims...no one will paint them of powder coat them b/c they are one piece rims. There will be a lip fromt he paint to Chrome therefore making it more prone to chip and crack. Not worth the headaches on both ends. If you had a 2pc or 3 pc rim entirely different story.

keep us updated

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Should have pursued you better not to buy that lift... Damn.. Sorry man. I'm about to drop some coin on a 6" RCX even after my bad luck though ha.

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are the shock brackets needed? Looks like a longer shock would work instead of those :shrug:

OP
OP
Brandon X

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I might have to do that. Would be pretty ******* annoying since I bought this kit cause I needed new shocks and this kit came with them, not to mention I payed the extra money for the "upgraded" ones.

86mk7

Reaction score
To me the shock mount looks to be installed wrong. Shouldn't it point up not out. Your lifting which would need extra length for the shock to travel right. Not to push it toward the wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts