Starts on second try

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, first time posting. I have a 2000 Yukon with 294,000 miles that I have put on it. Its been a great vehicle. The first time I turn the key it will crank but won't start. Turn it off and back on and it will start. Its been doing it for some time now. Any help would be appreciated.

Lancem

Reaction score
My first thought is that the fuel pressure is bleeding off and you are not getting enough pressure to start, second try pressurizes the line and it starts and goes. Try this next time, turn the key to the on but not start position, count to 3 turn key off, turn key and start. If it starts then I would say fuel pressure/fuel pump problem.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. It's not consistent so I'm thinking it's The Prime Valve. The crazy thing is my pump is not that old and my regulator too. My fuel mileage is consistent. I guess I need to put a fuel pressure tester on it and see what happens..not ruling the crank sensor out either..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. It's not consistent so I'm thinking it's The Prime Valve. The crazy thing is my pump is not that old and my regulator too. My fuel mileage is consistent. I guess I need to put a fuel pressure tester on it and see what happens..not ruling the crank sensor out either..

AC Delco or Delphi pump? Aftermarket pumps and/or their prime valves are known to fail very soon if not be defective right out of the box. None of this would affect fuel mileage. If the regulator was leaking badly enough to affect fuel mileage, you'd have drivability issues.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC Delco or Delphi pump? Aftermarket pumps and/or their prime valves are known to fail very soon if not be defective right out of the box. None of this would affect fuel mileage. If the regulator was leaking badly enough to affect fuel mileage, you'd have drivability issues.
I'm fairly certain it's an a.c. Delco pump. I had a shop do it because it went out during a snow storm and I unfortunately didn't get to lay eyes on it. I've heard a bad prime valve could cause lower pressure which would effect mileage. I had a bad regulator and it took installing 3 before I got a good one. I had one literally buzz on me.

jasonc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, first time posting. I have a 2000 Yukon with 294,000 miles that I have put on it. Its been a great vehicle. The first time I turn the key it will crank but won't start. Turn it off and back on and it will start. Its been doing it for some time now. Any help would be appreciated.
Change the ignition switch use GM i had the same problem. Check to make sure you pump is working first by pressing on shradder valve under hood on fuel system with key on. if it sprays its good change ignition switch

bladenbullet

Reaction score
put a fuel pressure gauge on it and measure fuel pressure at first key on....check for bleed back...

DrummerDude70

Reaction score
Good advice on checking the fuel pressure with a gauge. The FPR is very inexpensive and very easy to swap. In my case (both times), it was the fuel pump causing the second start condition. Given the number of miles on your vehicle, it's likely the pump. Sorry...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019