Starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Right I am aware of the P0442 being a small leak detected. I have only replaced the gas cap, purge valve and vent valve. I have not replaced anything else.
The CEL and starting issues began occurring at the same time so that's why I'm thinking they must be related in one way or another.
It's just trying to connect the dots on this mystery. Why would a small EVAP leak cause an intermittent no start when engine is warm??

Your last sentence is what I am going to respond to. Like Wes said, "the small EVAP leak WOULD NOT cause an intermittent no start when engine is warm". You already said this is a PITA but don't talk yourself in to chasing something that is not related. Not saying it does not need to be repaired but no where in my years of experience does it make sense that it would be related. Too many people here truly believe that the fuel delivery is related to the problem. That decision to chase that down makes the most sense. Basics......makes most sense to me at all times and then branch out from there if needed.

OP
OP
dross99_si

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your last sentence is what I am going to respond to. Like Wes said, "the small EVAP leak WOULD NOT cause an intermittent no start when engine is warm". You already said this is a PITA but don't talk yourself in to chasing something that is not related. Not saying it does not need to be repaired but no where in my years of experience does it make sense that it would be related. Too many people here truly believe that the fuel delivery is related to the problem. That decision to chase that down makes the most sense. Basics......makes most sense to me at all times and then branch out from there if needed.

Got it.
I appreciate everyone trying to help me out with this. :)

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Let's put it this way. I would get that fuel delivery possible problem looked at very soon because I can guarantee you that if the pump goes south, it will not be in your driveway.

I 2nd this. When I got the long start/second try start, I immediately ordered the pump, ring, etc and planned for a saturday under the truck. I ended up finding rust-o-mania on the head/lines of the pump. Glad I did the swap on my own schedule is an understatement.

Given, mine was opposite, being only on cold, but if I turned the key to run for a few seconds ( to prime ), second time started, just like yours. I like where Wes's head is on this, warmed up pump deciding it's to tired.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
another thing you can try also is when you go too do the 2nd start, don't start it just turn the key to run and leave for a few seconds, then turn the key off and then turn it back to run and let it sit again for a few seconds and then try to start the truck if it starts right up then it's most likely the fuel pump or related. doing this will prime the fuel system before you start it.

OP
OP
dross99_si

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another thing you can try also is when you go too do the 2nd start, don't start it just turn the key to run and leave for a few seconds, then turn the key off and then turn it back to run and let it sit again for a few seconds and then try to start the truck if it starts right up then it's most likely the fuel pump or related. doing this will prime the fuel system before you start it.

We will try this next time. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for trying to help us out.

OP
OP
dross99_si

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I 2nd this. When I got the long start/second try start, I immediately ordered the pump, ring, etc and planned for a saturday under the truck. I ended up finding rust-o-mania on the head/lines of the pump. Glad I did the swap on my own schedule is an understatement.

Given, mine was opposite, being only on cold, but if I turned the key to run for a few seconds ( to prime ), second time started, just like yours. I like where Wes's head is on this, warmed up pump deciding it's to tired.

Is this a huge bear of a job in the garage on jack stands? I would most likely be attempting this solo.
Or better to have someone with a lift tackle it?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Is this a huge bear of a job in the garage on jack stands? I would most likely be attempting this solo.
Or better to have someone with a lift tackle it?

I made sure to be prepared and took my time being picky. Still had to run for a clip nut for one strap that broke. Sprayed the pump and tank straps with bedliner, etc. I did it Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning no problem. I backed it up onto my ramps.

Also ran that baby so close to empty, it wouldn't start until I rolled it back onto flat ground. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leno1364

Latest posts