Starting issue.

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Rownell, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Rownell

Rownell TYF Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Tahoe has been running great since I bought it a couple of months ago. Ran fine yesterday, but today, out of the blue, it won't start. Fuel pump fuse is fine and I am assuming the relay is good. I want to check for spark so my question is about the little heat shields around the spark plug and boot. Do they pop off with the plug wire boot? It is snug and I didn't want to rip anything up. Any other suggestions on where to start?

Thanks

2. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away!

Name:
    Nate
    Sit quietly with the door open. Turn the key from off to run (not start) and listen for the pump behind you. You should easily hear it prime if it's getting power.

3. Big Mama

Big Mama Full Access Member

Name:
    Steven
    I don’t have your model but my heat shield didn’t pop off and the plug wires were hard to get off. Use the removal tool you can borrow from parts store. If a plug was bad it would still start. As Silver mentioned most common issue is fuel related

4. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Ours do.

5. Rownell

Rownell TYF Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    I did what you recommended (should have thought of it) Most fuel pumps I have dealt with will run for a couple of seconds. What I am hearing is a couple of quick clicks and a split second of a hum. Probably going to replace the fuel filter. When I have that off will I be able to check fuel pressure? I know it might be messy. Any other thoughts or just go after the pump and filter?

6. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away!

Name:
    Nate
    What year is your truck? Might not have a filter.
    The best way to check pressure is a mechanical gauge. You can borrow one from the auto parts store if you don't have it. There is a standard schrader valve on the driver's side fuel rail. The shade tree test would be to prime the pump and go stick a screwdriver into the valve (watch your eyeballs).

7. Rownell

Rownell TYF Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Appreciate the advice. I have to go to work now but I will check the pressure tonight. I will let you know what I find.
    Thanks again.

8. Rownell

Rownell TYF Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    P.S. Mine is a 2003 with 220,000

9. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away!

Name:
    Nate
    I don't think you have a separate fuel filter, but if you do, it'll be inline along the frame somewhere under the driver door. If not, it's part of the pump assy.

10. Rownell

Rownell TYF Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    OK. To everyone who has been responding. Thank You. Did a little snooping last night. My model has the Z in the VIN so it is the flex fuel model and has a exterior fuel filter. I shot some starting fluid in the air intake and she fired right up. Fuel pump. Some things I will just take to my trusted neighborhood garage that I don't want to tackle myself. What am I getting into on this? Any thoughts. On the Ram truck I had I just pulled the bed liner and cut a hole to get access to the pump. This isn't quite as simple. Ideas?