Speaker Install ?'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an auto so I used the punch out area for the clutch to drill a 3/4 hole.

OP
OP
G

GoTigers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ended up using the hole behind the cooler overflow tank. As far as the rear doors go, I went with the Boston Acoustics S65RC 6-1/2" coaxial. How do you recommend mounting them. The factory speakers were a tad bigger and there isn't much material left to drill through. I was thinking of making up little metal tabs and attaching the them to the door panels and then attaching the speakers to the tabs.

My most serious problem, however, has turned out to be the sub. A friend of mine gave me a JL audio 12W3(old school) hooked up to my PPI A200.2. It worked fine for about 5 minutes and then the foam surround deteriorated. I have since replaced the foam surround but now when I hook up the sub I get a white noise whine along with a thumping noise. I checked the ground for the amp and it seems fine. The light on the amp is green. I hooked another speaker up to the amp and the same thing happened. I also took the sub and hooked it up to the wires for the rear door and it played music. I really like the amp and pray that it isn't blown. I really don't think it is but something has happened. Nothing has changed since I had originally had it hooked up and working other than the foam surround replacement. any help or advice would be most appreciated.

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Caution against the 1" spacer idea.....your speakers will hit the edge of the back seats with the seats up or folded down. Don't use any more than a 1/2" thick spacer, that's cutting it close as it is. And you're not going to be able to use the stock grills....time for some customizing and fabrication.

Best bet, IMO, if you need to use a spacer...

I ordered 1/2" molded plastic spacers from Uneek Supply and they were a whopping $10 including shipping. They're on ebay or you can call them directly and buy them. Throw away the fasteners included for attaching the spacers to the door panels...some screws and those tin speed metal nuts. Get some real nuts and bolts.... phillips head #10 x 1-1/2" machine screws, washers and nuts. Bolt the spacer to the door panel, then screw the speaker into the spacer with regular sheet metal screws. That's a rock solid mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts