Spare tire question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbp1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what everyone else is doing with there spare tires if there leaving them back there or removing them when they put new wheels on say in 26 inch or 24 inch? I'm debating removing mine since the pan hard bar is touch it and its really not going to help me with 26 inch wheels. What's everyone else's thoughts on this?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Then, IMO, you need to carry a spare inside the back. I personally don't want to be stranded anywhere without a spare but I also know that lots of times people just call AAA for a tow.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm curious what everyone else is doing with there spare tires if there leaving them back there or removing them when they put new wheels on say in 26 inch or 24 inch? I'm debating removing mine since the pan hard bar is touch it and its really not going to help me with 26 inch wheels. What's everyone else's thoughts on this?
If you know the diameter of you 24/26" tire, just get the appropriate diameter tire with your spare.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You don't need it until you do. My hoist bit the dust a few years ago so we beached the spare for a few weeks while waiting for a new one. The truck sure does like the weight back there, was a lot bumpier without the spare aboard. Mine has LT tires and while three of them have been punctured, the leaks were slow enough to not need the spare. We also carry an onboard air compressor. If your new tires and wheels are still 31.5" or 32" inches tall, the spare will still work well with the axles and suspension till you get it replaced.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't carry a spare for most of my driving, as I had to remove it, in order to install the Gibson Extreme cat-back dual exhaust system. Yes, it is a risk, but one that I am willing to take. For long trips, when I typically tow a small trailer, I take the spare with me.

My rationale and willingness to roll the dice on not carry a spare is that I never used a spare the spare for the 5+ years that I had my 1997 Yukon (RIP). But, as Swathdiver states above, you don't need it, until you do.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I don't carry a spare for most of my driving, as I had to remove it, in order to install the Gibson Extreme cat-back dual exhaust system. Yes, it is a risk, but one that I am willing to take. For long trips, when I typically tow a small trailer, I take the spare with me.

My rationale and willingness to roll the dice on not carry a spare is that I never used a spare the spare for the 5+ years that I had my 1997 Yukon (RIP). But, as Swathdiver states above, you don't need it, until you do.
Once I blew out my spare, while I was using it. 100 miles from home. Fun times.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I used to brag about never having a flat tire of any kind.Then about a month after the last time I did so I was on my way to an appointment and went to climb in my Tahoe and the lf tire was flat. I swapped out the spare, PITA. Next day took it to a Local Les Schwab here in the PNW and they always fix flats for free. It worked. I needed tires about 6 months later and I bought a set from them.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad tie rod took out a tire on my wife's van. Remembered that several years ago, when we bought the van, we also bought a matching wheel and took one of the old tires and put it on the wheel so we'd have a full size spare. Well, we put the spare on to keep the van up and running while the new tires were being shipped. If this had been in the garage, that would have been ok too. All of our cars, even my truck, are equipped with air compressors and tire plug kits in addition to the spare tires.

Many manufacturers these days, Kia comes to mind, delete the spare or make it an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spargewort

Latest posts