spare tire mechanism stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

possumsquisher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That link was great. Didn't help me though. The secondary lock had seized up
(salt and rust) lucky though I could get it down just enough to reach in with a cut off tool and cut a notch out of the bottom of the ***** so that the secondary lock could slide through.

Had some luck though I had found a spare tire with the ***** off of a chevy in the road a few years ago hopefully it will fit.

Thanks for the help

Nfamous60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HEY WHAT THE HELL YA"LL TRYN TO SAY BOUT NY VEHICLES? I Live out here and mine trucc isnt rusted underneath at all and i have mines since april 2007!!!

JD Larue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
HEY WHAT THE HELL YA"LL TRYN TO SAY BOUT NY VEHICLES? I Live out here and mine trucc isnt rusted underneath at all and i have mines since april 2007!!!

Shit, I was in Buffalo this weekend and from what I saw everythings rusty back there.

S4NM4N

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
12 years since the last post but I am currently having this same issue. This is the fix that I found for it. Hope it helps anyone that may currently be experiencing the same thing.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12 years since the last post but I am currently having this same issue. This is the fix that I found for it. Hope it helps anyone that may currently be experiencing the same thing.
Pretty swift.

S4NM4N

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another video. Super short and a bit of a different method. I did try hammering on the hook part like the other video without any luck. I will try this tomorrow.
Also watched another video where they used a ratchet straps to hole the tire up and went through the center hole with a large flat head screwdriver and banged on the hook part at that angle. It's seems to be rust holding the hook in the out/open position and not retracting.

Good Luck!!

Last edited:

S4NM4N

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got it off. Strapped the tire to the frame, dropped the cable, got a light shining between the spare and the frame to what was going on. I had to adjust the spare so the mechanism was able to be turned. The spare was putting pressure against the hook safety mechanism so I could not spin it. The safety mechanism was initially facing away from my view so I spun it until I could see the hook side. I used a long flat head to put pressure against the hooked part of the mechanism. Finally got it to drop out.
Screwed up thing was the spare was flat anyway. Thank goodness this was not taking place road side with a flat. I will not be putting the spare back under the truck. Thinking about getting a hitch attachment to store it. Anyone have any recommendations?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu