spare tire mechanism stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

possumsquisher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On the spare tire ***** you can lower the tire to a certain point and then it just stops. The cable continues to drop but the metal bracket holding the tire stops moving. It seems to be stuck inside the housing. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?

OP
OP
P

possumsquisher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
kicked the hell out of it. Rocked the tire back and forth rotated it still nothing.

wmgood64

BILL
Reaction score
That's weird it def. must be catching or hanging up on something!!! What does it look like the bracket might be catcin on??

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is the truck, happened to a buddy's 05 silverado and it was completely rusted (new england weather is brutal on vehicles) so he just cut the whole thing off and kept it without the spare but I'm pretty sure gmpartsdirect has em for $160 or so if it has to come to that

OP
OP
P

possumsquisher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it's a 2005 tahoe. Got it at an auction and then found out it was from New York. Everything under it is rusty.

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, don't remember exactly how its set up under there but and I can only assume you can't get a great look at the mechanism, I'd say try be soak watever parts you can see with wd40 or sumthing like that, leave it for awhile and if that doesn't seem to work cut it out, it'll handle nice for the few days until you replace it without the weight of the spare and brackets, sorry couldn't be more helpful but with an exposed spare thses things are gunna happen

nc6600

ps trucks in drive
Reaction score
it's a 2005 tahoe. Got it at an auction and then found out it was from New York. Everything under it is rusty.
happened to me too. Bought an 07 Denali that i later found out was from NY, and was a lease return. That thing was rusted to hell, luckily the dealer i bought it from (it was a GMC dealer and the truck was CPO) honored the buy back guarantee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14