Spare ignition key?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a spare key for the 2019 Tahoe. Don't see any chip or anything in this key, just grooves. Anybody had one made for this series SUV or truck? Dealer only or can a lock shop cut the grooves for this?

Thanks.

OklabyGodhoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your key should have a + inside a circle stamped into the metal. That stamp indicates it has a chip. You can find OEM keys on eBay just make sure the blank key you purchase has the stamp on it. Then when you get it take it to a key shop and have them cut it for you. After that you will still need to "pair" it to your system. Instructions to do that can be found elsewhere on this forum. Of course you could buy a key from a stealership or the key shop but why pay all that extra money?

Reaction score
I have a plain, non-chipped key that's just flat (no thick plastic around the head) that I keep in my wallet just in case I lock my keys/fob in the car. When used on the door to open, it sets the horn honking but I can stop it by pressing the unlock button on the remote once inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia