Sometimes you hear it rattle, sometimes you don't.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wma4553

Reaction score
I have a 1999 4 door 4WD Tahoe that has the most annoying noise (kind of a cross between a rattle and a squeak) that seems to come from the dash area. It is very inconsistent (occurs about 75% of the time) and is only at highway speeds, never around town. Does not have to do with bumps or rough roads as it does it on smooth interstates. I have practically taken the entire dash apart and can't find a cause. I have even checked the outside mirrors and one of them was a little loose but not the problem. I have seen threads about steering column but this occurs while driving straight on smooth roads so don't think that is it. I have been searching for this noise for a year with no luck, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

OP
OP
W

wma4553

Reaction score
Sometime a blind hog will find an acorn, which pretty much explains how I finally found the rattle that has been bugging me. Monstar_est87, I did install the dash kit and it seemed to tighten up the dash a little but the problem was actually not the dash. While searching for a water leak into the cab I removed the plastic cowl vent between the windshield and back of the hood. It is in 3 sections, center and 2 outer pieces. When I started to reinstall the thing I noticed that even with all the screws tight the outside pieces did not want to seat down tight against the center section. It was obvious that under the right conditions the wind could cause these pieces to rattle, which explains the randomness of the rattle. I put some putty tape between the pieces and no more rattle. Don't know if this is a common problem or just unique to my truck but if anyone has a mystery rattle you might want to check this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr_hyde

Latest posts