SOLVED Odd shaking initial drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
And is the shake/vibration at the frequency of wheel rotation or driveshaft rotation (3.x times wheel rotation speed)? If it's at wheel rotation speed, I vote either broken belt/cord in one of the rear tires, or a bad/damaged wheel hub. Are you running any wheel spacers, by chance?
I hate wheel spacers. That's a dirty word.

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All stock, even hubcaps.
Though, I do have a rear tire that has NO weights on it. Found that only like 2 weeks ago, by accident.
Unfortunately, with my work schedule, I can force balance tires only Saturday am, so it's a bit in suspense till then.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
All stock, even hubcaps.
Though, I do have a rear tire that has NO weights on it. Found that only like 2 weeks ago, by accident.
Unfortunately, with my work schedule, I can force balance tires only Saturday am, so it's a bit in suspense till then.
Do you mean no weights on the outside or no weights at all, inside or outside?

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO means none. I do not do rim weights, they fall off, I do sticky only. Rim is BARE. Not a single weight. Peculiarly, there is no balance type shake at FWY speeds. Only at cold take off, starts about 1000 ft from home at arterial speed, for about quarter mile, then goes away. The colder outside - the worse.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wondering if someone used fix-a-flat in the tire and it's affecting the balance.

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Tires were installed around late fall last year. Weekly commute is about 300 miles. Shake was going on for about 3 mths...if I recall correct. I DO NOT DO Fixflat. I use it ONLY on my lawnmower.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll ask again because it's an important detail: Is the shake/vibration at the frequency of wheel rotation or driveshaft rotation (3.x times wheel rotation speed)?

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, as has been said, a tire can have a belt problem that goes away when heated up or the driveline could be the concern. Other problems could maybe be there but these two suggestions are the most obvious. You could move the tires, front to rear, and see if the problem moves.

Also, about the tire weights. I cannot see the tire and I don't know the preferences of the vehicle owner. Details up front, like what was given later, remove all doubt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas