SOLVED - Flexplate or Starter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1999 Yukon 5.7, AT

Grinding and screetchy while starting... not every time, but enough to be concerning

Is there a way to tell if one or the other is the problem (or am I missing something else?)

I know Ill have to get in there eventually... but its freezing and muddy out there... gathering intel first

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
1999 Yukon 5.7, AT

Grinding and screetchy while starting... not every time, but enough to be concerning

Is there a way to tell if one or the other is the problem (or am I missing something else?)

I know Ill have to get in there eventually... but its freezing and muddy out there... gathering intel first
Take your starter off and see if you have A) missing or worn teeth on your flex plate, B) missing or worn teeth on your starter C) wear marks that indicate your starter is not fully engaging.

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious...

looking at parts and I notice two different starter options... Direct Drive and Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction...

Both show as fitting my Yukon, whats the deal?

Are they both going to fit but are different internally or is going to be one or the other?

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for fun...

Heres a video. Sounds a little better here actually...

goes on a bit since the truck wont start right now...... another mystery.... anyhow, you can hear the sounds pretty clear

When it stops raining Ill get that starter out and have a look at things.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find nothing abnormal like loose starter, Check starter for failed bendix, test with jumper cables too. If it still grinds may have to measure for shim- drill bit or wire between the gears. If it still grinds look for cracked flexplate.

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was the starter.

Installed new one and its smooth as eggs.

Crazy difference.