"Solved" Exhausted and dont know where to turn - vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had multiple mechanics look at this and no one can pinpoint where the problem is.

The drive shaft looks solid as well as the u-joints. They look newer and driveshaft appears to be replaced. ( I just bought this vehicle )

I have a whole body shake starting about 65 MPH and increasing as you go faster. Sometimes at 80 it seems to go away.

I have changed the following parts.

pitman and idler
tie rods
upper control arms
front brakes

The vibration is better now because I replaced all of these but still it is there.

Shocks are only 5 years old and work great.

The steering wheel steers straight with no wobbling back and forth when the vibration starts.

But I have a whole car vibration at about 70. And if you have a continuous bumps on the road and the vehicle resonates with the spacing of the bumps, it gets ugly. We have bridge where I live and the concrete has bumps every several feet and at 70 it is crazy over those bumps.

I have read everything so far and I can't put my finger on it. Please help.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottom of the vehicle is clean. No grease on the rear end nor any howl from it. But I am going to remove the drive shaft and get it balanced as noted and have the pinion gear checked out as well. Thank you and if there is anything else you guys can think of. It is quite unnerving this unstable feeling after 60 MPH.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottom of the vehicle is clean. No grease on the rear end nor any howl from it. But I am going to remove the drive shaft and get it balanced as noted and have the pinion gear checked out as well. Thank you and if there is anything else you guys can think of. It is quite unnerving

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot get a good idea on how severe the vibration is.

If the vibration is real severe, the knowledgeable folks above have pointed you in the right direction for analysis.

If the vibration is not real severe (like your entire truck is not shaking, but you feel it from somewhere), I suggest that you Roadforce balance your tires. If there are any issues with the rims, they will be discovered.

Last edited:

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I can usually tell by the frequency of a vibration if it’s at engine RPM like a driveshaft or wheel speed like tires, brakes, bearings. But some vibes can be tough to pin down.

If it’s the lower frequency as in tire RPM, the best method I know is finding a shop with the old school wheel balancing tool that spins it on the car. That will find anything and everything wheel related, no matter what. Bearing, bent axle, rotor, wheel out of true, or of course the tire. It all shows up.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
REally appreciate the great answers. I am learning as I go. Car is in excellent shape with this one issue. Very frustrating as we have to take a long trip this weekend and all the shops are done and closed for the weekend. I guess I will be keeping under 65 the entire time. Thanks and any comments I am thankful for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast-cheap-right