SOLVED: Another misfire chasing threads (2008 express van)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
@Tonyrodz does your van sound a lot louder after you removed the cat?

I assumed it was a leak then I went under tonight finished the rear clamp and double checked everything. I got a throaty exhaust now lol. I don’t hate it but in a van it just sounds broken not so rowdy like a truck would

Sounds good.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is slowly turning into my express van build, break, build, break thread.

So the latest, no CELs for a while but I decided it was time to rebuild my front end. Ordered from rock auto

BOTH SIDES
Upper control arms
lower control arms
adjustable cams for upper control arms
inner tie rods
outter tie rods
Struts
Sway bar bushings
Sway bar end links
Wheel hubs
Brake Rotors
Brake Pads

All in all for the rust that’s present, the suspension came apart fairly easy. About an hour on each side and had it all taken apart completely. Reassembled the upper control arms and tie rods as close to the originals as I could but I’m still bringing it in Monday for an alignment just to be safe.

The pain in the ass. One of the hubs arrived damaged. Whatever I returned it and received another… well the speed sensor was broken on the 2nd one. Fed up with waiting, I ordered a speed sensor with the intentions of jusy returning the damaged speed sensor.. welp moog doesn’t make a speed sensors so now I have no clue what sensor is on the hub.. instead of dealing with the headache, I ordered an Ac delco speed sensor and installed it. Put the van back together today and wouldn’t you know it. That brand new AC delco speed sensor is throwing ABS codes that were not there prior to the suspension work. Stressed and throwing in the towel for now. Not sure if I installed it improperly or just coincidentally I ended up with a faulty sensor.

Gonna take it back apart sometime over the weekend and see what I find. Brain is exhausted. Lol.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
This thread is slowly turning into my express van build, break, build, break thread.

So the latest, no CELs for a while but I decided it was time to rebuild my front end. Ordered from rock auto

BOTH SIDES
Upper control arms
lower control arms
adjustable cams for upper control arms
inner tie rods
outter tie rods
Struts
Sway bar bushings
Sway bar end links
Wheel hubs
Brake Rotors
Brake Pads

All in all for the rust that’s present, the suspension came apart fairly easy. About an hour on each side and had it all taken apart completely. Reassembled the upper control arms and tie rods as close to the originals as I could but I’m still bringing it in Monday for an alignment just to be safe.

The pain in the ass. One of the hubs arrived damaged. Whatever I returned it and received another… well the speed sensor was broken on the 2nd one. Fed up with waiting, I ordered a speed sensor with the intentions of jusy returning the damaged speed sensor.. welp moog doesn’t make a speed sensors so now I have no clue what sensor is on the hub.. instead of dealing with the headache, I ordered an Ac delco speed sensor and installed it. Put the van back together today and wouldn’t you know it. That brand new AC delco speed sensor is throwing ABS codes that were not there prior to the suspension work. Stressed and throwing in the towel for now. Not sure if I installed it improperly or just coincidentally I ended up with a faulty sensor.

Gonna take it back apart sometime over the weekend and see what I find. Brain is exhausted. Lol.
Same issue with my 03 Tahoe. Replaced the hub and an abs code popped up--never had an abs code before--replaced with original GM abs sensor and the same issue. Screenshot_20221006-193706_Amazon Shopping.jpg

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same issue with my 03 Tahoe. Replaced the hub and an abs code popped up--never had an abs code before--replaced with original GM abs sensor and the same issue. View attachment 382243
That’s annoying as f*ck. Im gonna replace it again I guess. I didn’t yank on the plug or anything so i don’t think the harness is damaged

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've replaced both sides and moved them around--same shit, no change.
Yup changed sensor today and same shit. Really frustrating as I didn’t have an ABS light prior to this. Wondering if the ac delco sensors aren’t compatible with MOOG hubs. But I don’t know why they wouldn’t be

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yup changed sensor today and same shit. Really frustrating as I didn’t have an ABS light prior to this. Wondering if the ac delco sensors aren’t compatible with MOOG hubs. But I don’t know why they wouldn’t be
Are you sure the hub is good? You never know....
Did you look at the magnetized end of the sensor? Also, how does the relucter--the gear looking thing--in the hub look? Any metal fillings around?

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the hub is good? You never know....
Did you look at the magnetized end of the sensor? Also, how does the relucter--the gear looking thing--in the hub look? Any metal fillings around?
Just got off the phone with moog. They’re not compatible with OE speed sensors… wtf? Couldn’t give me a part number either. They want me to have another hub sent out. And either take the speed sensor off that hub or replace the whole hub just so I don’t have to tamper with the sensor.

Makes sense because the driver side is fine with the speed sensor provided by moog. The passenger side which I replaced the sensor because the one was cracked on a brand new hub. Is the one giving me problems.

They also told me all aftermarket hubs do this. Not just moog. So that might be your issue also

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with moog. They’re not compatible with OE speed sensors… wtf? Couldn’t give me a part number either. They want me to have another hub sent out. And either take the speed sensor off that hub or replace the whole hub just so I don’t have to tamper with the sensor.

Makes sense because the driver side is fine with the speed sensor provided by moog. The passenger side which I replaced the sensor because the one was cracked on a brand new hub. Is the one giving me problems.

They also told me all aftermarket hubs do this. Not just moog. So that might be your issue also
Well that sux. I replaced with a Timken, but that doesn't explain the other side. I haven't changed that one yet.20221011_175701.jpg20220624_151632.jpg20220624_151625.jpg

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that sux. I replaced with a Timken, but that doesn't explain the other side. I haven't changed that one yet.View attachment 382605View attachment 382606View attachment 382607
So when I had my NBS I had like 9 ABS codes. They were most likely linked to a failed ABS module (from what I read online). But at $500 for replacement I just rode out with them lights the entire time I owned it lol

I just ordered another hub. Sending this shit back without a sensor. Idc Amazon can shove it for sending me 2 broken ones back to back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts