Snow Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awd and 4hi are the same thing, just awd's have no option for 2wd. Auto is when the truck monitor's wheel slippage and engages 4x4 when its needed

ever noticed how the gear selector
Can be easily be pushed into neutral? that is designed for driving on ice. In the event your wheels are locked up on ice, use the neutral bump to cut power to the wheels and lightly pump the breaks.

Ummmm.....I hope you're kidding. For those that are actually new to driving in ice please do the rest of us a favor and never drop the truck into neutral when it's slick out. I'm pretty sure that's not what neutral is for. ;-)

If it's so slick that being in gear causes you to slide you have a lot worse problems. However, you need to be bumping the gas and get the tires moving, then pray that you can actually steer your way through whatever may be happening. Pumping the brakes in neutral isn't going to stop you if it's that slick out, all you've done is take away any control you might have had when the tires stop sliding.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummmm.....I hope you're kidding. For those that are actually new to driving in ice please do the rest of us a favor and never drop the truck into neutral when it's slick out. I'm pretty sure that's not what neutral is for. ;-)

If it's so slick that being in gear causes you to slide you have a lot worse problems. However, you need to be bumping the gas and get the tires moving, then pray that you can actually steer your way through whatever may be happening. Pumping the brakes in neutral isn't going to stop you if it's that slick out, all you've done is take away any control you might have had when the tires stop sliding.

Ive been in many situations where bumping it into neutral worked good.. that being said alot of people dont have winter for 8 months out of the year and ice roads to access rural communities..

Maybe in city driving its not practical, but for this hick thats my story and im stickin to it :cheers:

cbuckeye20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This was my first year in the snow with the Tahoe. Previous vehicles Mustang, Escape, Fusion (well still Fusion) (and sorry, wife's dad works for Ford.. but I hate the Expedition looks and risked war buying Chevy) basically nothing this high up from the ground

Anywho, we were in that big storm last weekend up in Michigan and I was blinded by my lights hitting all the snow flurries. I'm not sure if I just havent driven in a blizzard that bad or it really is the height of the vehicle which causes the lights to shine on a greater amount of snow flurries, but I never remember feeling so blind before. It just didnt feel safe driving over 20 on the highway when I couldnt see but a few yards ahead

Do any of you drive with foglights only in those kinda conditions? My LT doesnt have any or I would have tried myself..

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven in a few blizzards and lights or just fog lights...it's still a blizzard and you can't see. Best to wait it out somewhere, off the highway

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. If you're at the point where you don't feel safe driving "over 20" on the freeway, you need to get off the roads and wait it out.

You are an accident waiting to happen. People do that all the time here in heavy rains or fog and usually end up getting nailed from behind or causing someone to swerve and hit some other car or go off the road.
(Retired LEO)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gmc-chevy-suks