Snow Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another knod for the Michelin Defender’s. We’ve been getting some decent snow/ice the past 2 weekends here in Ohio and they’ve done great!

Last weekend we got 8”-9” and in both 2WD and 4WD they had plenty of traction.

These tires are leaps and bounds over the stock Bridgestones, thoroughly impressed with their performance in all conditions, they’re incredibly smooth. I’d be hard pressed to try a different tire once these need replaced.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Nokian Hakka LT2 studded on our Suburban. We take it skiing every weekend it’s a couple hundred miles round trip, about half of which is in snow/ice most of the time. They’re fantastic tires.

Anyone who expects to drive in snow/ice on a regular basis should absolutely ditch the “all-season” tires for ones designed for snow use (severe service symbol on the tire). All the empirical data shows significant benefits to the use of snow tires. That said, you’ve still got to increase following distance by a lot (double it) and decrease speed.

I usually keep the truck in 4 Auto for the weekend. 4HI is really overkill unless you’ve got multiple inches of unplowed snow.

DC2A60A3-2022-47D1-B677-31D7D7F6867F.jpeg

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run Nokian Hakka LT2 studded on our Suburban. We take it skiing every weekend it’s a couple hundred miles round trip, about half of which is in snow/ice most of the time. They’re fantastic tires.

Anyone who expects to drive in snow/ice on a regular basis should absolutely ditch the “all-season” tires for ones designed for snow use (severe service symbol on the tire). All the empirical data shows significant benefits to the use of snow tires. That said, you’ve still got to increase following distance by a lot (double it) and decrease speed.

I usually keep the truck in 4 Auto for the weekend. 4HI is really overkill unless you’ve got multiple inches of unplowed snow.

View attachment 216819

Are you recommending doubling the distance just for using snow tires? Even on dry pavement.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you recommending doubling the distance just for using snow tires? Even on dry pavement.

I increase distance on dry pavement with the studded snow tires but that’s because the studs don’t stop as well as regular tires on dry pavement.

Generally I’m saying that good snow tires are step one and increasing space/decreasing speed is step two for safe snow driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu