Smoothest Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have the Z55, not getting any readings on the dash. Is OEM the best replacement option? How can I tell if there's leaking?
The body of the shock will look wet around the top, unless they've been leaking so long that the hydraulic fluid has already all leaked out.

You'll get lots of opinions on this, but my view is that the factory suspension setup is superb. Anything aftermarket and you're in the experimental category for getting a smooth ride. Lots of folks have gone to aftermarket conventional shocks and then gone back to the factory autoride setup after a few years, while others swear by their aftermarket stuff. The autoride system uses a special fluid in the shock absorber that automatically adjusts the viscosity of the fluid in real time, optimizing it for the actual road conditions. It's pretty trick technology that came first from the Corvette, and it works really well on these trucks. I have a buddy that has an '07 Suburban without the autoride and we take turns driving to the ski slopes in the winter time. It's night and day difference in terms of ride quality and smoothness. So much so he's pissed he didn't hold out for a Denali.

Rock Auto has the OEM front shocks for $260 each. Take a snapshot of your RPO code sticker to reference when you're shopping. They have the various RPO code matches for each option on their site.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surprising that his front Strut assemblies are the same price as my front shock assemblies.

If you do go this route, and are thinking about lowering, or raising, now is a good time!

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Autoride suspension on my Yukon and it is a very smooth ride, so I think the advice that your shocks may be worn out sounds likely.

As far as the bed spring squeaking sounds, it could be noise coming from your sway bar mounts. Mine were squeaking badly and some silicon grease quieted them right down.

As far as the shocks, my first 4 corners lasted 100K. I love the suspension so much, when the time came, I bought all new OE shocks, no regrets.

JoeZ78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey NickyD, I don't know if this will help, but my 2016 LTZ had an annoying squeak similar to what you are describing. It turned out to be the lateral arm (track bar). It was loose, moving back and forth when you rocked the vehicle or went over bumps. It will also make the ride rough because this part keeps the rear end from moving laterally. Took me awhile to pinpoint where the noise was coming from. I had my wife get on the running boards and rock the vehicle back and forth while I was underneath. Good Luck!

GMack650

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you want to go aftermarket, I suggest Bilstein 4600 or 5100s, and Moog HD coils. I just got rid of my Z55 suspension,and replaced the shocks and rear coils on my Denali. The ride is much smoother now. But, all 4 of my shocks were blown and my compressor was dead, so replacement was badly needed! This is a much cheaper option. $309 for all 4 shocks and $60 for the rear coils on Amazon.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the stock autoride system if you want the smoothest ride. I recall a post where the guy claimed replacing his worn out autoride was a better improvement than his 1.9 tvs supercharger (!)...

houstontaylor

Reaction score
Just picked up a pristine 2012 Tahoe LTZ had to order from across the country so no test drive. Been driving it for a month now and it’s still under dealer certified warrantee so any repairs needed I want to make ASAP. I’ve noticed the ride is rough, can feel every little bump and twig on the road and when on the highway everyone’s heads are bobbing around like crazy on uneven roads. I’m assuming I need new struts but I could be wrong. What I thought was a digital beep I heard every time I go over a speed bump turns out to actually be a rusty squeak. If I have truck in park and stand on my running boards and jump up and down it sounds like a 1930’s spring bed squeezing at my front left wheel well. I’m between seeing if dealership will look in to it and replace the struts or whatever the problem is…. Or spending the extra bucks, going to aftermarket shop, putting a leveling kit on it and some upgraded shocks all the way around. What setup has given you guys the smoothest ride possible? My pregnant wife can’t even ride on it right now.
Mine was making that kind of noise and it turned out to be some front suspension or steering part, possibly the control arm bolts , were not tightened enough after some work.

OP
OP
N

NickyD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine was making that kind of noise and it turned out to be some front suspension or steering part, possibly the control arm bolts , were not tightened enough after some work.
That could be a possibility, I think the dealership replaced the sway arm and control assembly before selling it.

chadw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the stock autoride system if you want the smoothest ride. I recall a post where the guy claimed replacing his worn out autoride was a better improvement than his 1.9 tvs supercharger (!)...
I wouldnt want to meet the man dumb enough to compare those two things

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9