Smelling gas in cabin when I start up and ticking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever I start my Tahoe up, I can smell gas for about five minutes until I start driving windows down or up. I do have a missing manifold stud but I don’t think it’s leaking there. I don’t see any black soot anywhere or feel any air but all I know is I smell gas and hear a ticking noise when I’m parked next to buildings are in the drive-through.

Ticking noise

Meathead16

Reaction score
Grab a stethoscope and listen to each individual fuel injector.. they can get loud.. maybe there's some debris in one of em not allowing it to open or close completely and the tick might be the plunger in the injector smacking into it each time is fires. Maybe..

Take the hose off the fuel regulator (if you have one) if it smells like fuel you need a new regulator. Check hoses for your evap, vent, and purge valves too.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The broken manifold bolt problem only gets worse. How long has it been like that. No CEL's? Your video is not playing.