Smaller Trailer Upgrades Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shimmyt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've got a 2010 Tahoe 5.3L with the 3.08 no tow package. We just got a smaller camper trailer (rPod 180 dry weight of 2950) with a wdh for the anti-sway control. Just towed it from Austin up to Las Vegas and back with no real i other then the transmission got a lil warm for my liking 210 to 225 up the 6% incline from Phoenix to Flagstaff with ambient temps around 90 and the AC on. Once we got back to flat ground it dropped to high 190s low 200s. From an engine temp standpoint it never went more then 210. I know I want to add a transmission cooler to help that out, get a tune to cut the AFM for our next trip plus some shocks for the back (maybe just airbag helpers) and do a brake job. Is all of this overkill? Do I just stick with it the way it is and keep doing normal maintenance? Also am I crazy for wanting to potentially swap out the rear for a 3.42?

Any advice would be appreciated! Also we did get it weighed on a CAT scale so our official weights all loaded up were:
Steer axle: 2640lb
Drive axle: 3340lb
Trailer axle: 2980lb
Gross weight: 8960lb

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You put 3 tons of stuff in your trailer?

How did it feel towing with that setup? The temperatures are fine but it can't hurt to add an external cooler. As for the gears, it'll tow better with 3.42s.

Your Tahoe sounds like an XFE model, is your 8th digit in the VIN a 3 by chance?

OP
OP
S

shimmyt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ahhh typo on my part for the trailer axle. 2980 on the trailer axle and 8960 total weight. Also yep the 8th character is a 3.

OP
OP
S

shimmyt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Honestly it towed pretty well with that weight back there but we were super conservative on speed never going over 65.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh typo on my part for the trailer axle. 2980 on the trailer axle and 8960 total weight. Also yep the 8th character is a 3.

Honestly it towed pretty well with that weight back there but we were super conservative on speed never going over 65.

She is indeed an XFE model. Did you know that? What kind of mileage do y'all get around town and on the highway when not towing?

If that is how you are going to tow, you don't HAVE to make any modifications to it. The tune, transmission cooler and gears would all help towing in the extremes but you've proven that it is not necessary. The tune and cooler will make things last longer and improve the driving experience if done properly. Always run the severe service schedule to keep your fluids clean and doing their jobs.

Any photos of everything hooked up or the XFE by itself?

OP
OP
S

shimmyt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
She is indeed an XFE model. Did you know that? What kind of mileage do y'all get around town and on the highway when not towing?

If that is how you are going to tow, you don't HAVE to make any modifications to it. The tune, transmission cooler and gears would all help towing in the extremes but you've proven that it is not necessary. The tune and cooler will make things last longer and improve the driving experience if done properly. Always run the severe service schedule to keep your fluids clean and doing their jobs.

Any photos of everything hooked up or the XFE by itself?
I did not know it was an XFE model! During the trip we got about 11.6mpg. This will pretty much be the tow setup for the next couple of years. We are looking at the Grand Design 22RBE models the GWVR on those is 6995 which I think is gonna be beyond what I want to take this Tahoe up to so we'd be looking at a new tow vehicle for that. I would like to keep this running good for as long as possible because I really dig this truck.

Also here's a pic of it hooked up. That little bit of sag is there even when not towing hence the new shocks and maybe air bags to get it more level.

Attachments

• IMG_1845.JPEG
    IMG_1845.JPEG
    346.4 KB · Views: 7

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not know it was an XFE model! During the trip we got about 11.6mpg. This will pretty much be the tow setup for the next couple of years. We are looking at the Grand Design 22RBE models the GWVR on those is 6995 which I think is gonna be beyond what I want to take this Tahoe up to so we'd be looking at a new tow vehicle for that. I would like to keep this running good for as long as possible because I really dig this truck.

Also here's a pic of it hooked up. That little bit of sag is there even when not towing hence the new shocks and maybe air bags to get it more level.

Love the color, looks to be in great condition too! To cut down on wind resistance, those were lowered in the rear like the cop cars and their spare is aluminum as are the lower control arms up front and of course the LC9 engine is all aluminum as well.

Does she deliver 21-23 mpg on the highway unladen?

While the drivetrain can handle a lot more weight the cooling system and gears limits the tow capacity to 5400 pounds. Adding 3.42 gears and putting in the transmission cooler, engine oil cooler and 700 watt cooling fans ups the towing capacity to 8,400 pounds.

Having said that, a lot of folks don't like towing with the short wheelbase at those weights or really it's the sail area of the larger trailers. Get a Suburban or a Crew Cab Silverado with the NHT package and it will pull the future trailer like it's not even back there.

OP
OP
S

shimmyt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Love the color, looks to be in great condition too! To cut down on wind resistance, those were lowered in the rear like the cop cars and their spare is aluminum as are the lower control arms up front and of course the LC9 engine is all aluminum as well.

Does she deliver 21-23 mpg on the highway unladen?

While the drivetrain can handle a lot more weight the cooling system and gears limits the tow capacity to 5400 pounds. Adding 3.42 gears and putting in the transmission cooler, engine oil cooler and 700 watt cooling fans ups the towing capacity to 8,400 pounds.

Having said that, a lot of folks don't like towing with the short wheelbase at those weights or really it's the sail area of the larger trailers. Get a Suburban or a Crew Cab Silverado with the NHT package and it will pull the future trailer like it's not even back there.
Thanks! outside of a few dings in the front bumper, a couple of scratches and a couple of sun spots it's a really good looking truck. Not quite 21 - 23. Could be due to the way I drive but I get around 19 - 21 on the high end.

Thanks for the insight! You've given me some ideas. I think I'm def gonna do the transmission cooler, and shocks. Will leave that rear axle alone and go for the upgraded tow vehicle when we upgrade the trailer!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! outside of a few dings in the front bumper, a couple of scratches and a couple of sun spots it's a really good looking truck. Not quite 21 - 23. Could be due to the way I drive but I get around 19 - 21 on the high end.

Thanks for the insight! You've given me some ideas. I think I'm def gonna do the transmission cooler, and shocks. Will leave that rear axle alone and go for the upgraded tow vehicle when we upgrade the trailer!

Glad to be of assistance! Welcome to the forum by the way!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks good. Hope you're using Tow/Haul mode when towing.

Also good that you keep it to 65mph, but check the trailer tires. Many of them are rated to 65 mph.