Silly @$$ Question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Day

Reaction score
I KNOW, better MPG is a myth with a 5700 lb vehicle and 395 ponies. So you guys be nice ")

I own a 2019 Yukon XL SLT 5.3. I have installed an A. Mkt CAI & an oil catch can. IF IF IF I buy a set of 'tuned' drop-in headers (if there is such a thing) and install them, will it make my Yuke Louder? I want to leave the stock pipes on for now. I would like quiet with better MPG. Is this to much to ask for? If so, let me know that too.

Thx

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
If headers gained mpg the factory would have done them already. Look at all the other crazy stuff they do just to gain a fraction of economy.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding from other folks' experiences on this Forum is that headers do make the truck's exhaust louder. Folks who have actually made the mod to headers will chime in.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it will make the engine slightly louder, you can make the exhaust slightly louder by propping the exhaust flap open but it will sound like crap in v4 mode

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going to do headers I'd go long tubes. For the amount of work your going to do skip the shorties. With headers:

PROS
1)More engine efficiency and better MPG(you'd need to get a tune to take advantage of it)
2)Looks cool if you get ceramic coated

CONS(some may think PROS)
1)You will be louder
2)Probably hear some pinging from the exhaust pulses in the engine bay
3)You need to get them ceramic coated, or else it's going to be really hot and start melting stuff under the hood
4)Need aftermarket mid pipe/cats to fit long tubes

The list above is why OEM doesn't install factory headers, and yeah, they aren't cheap either for stainless steel ceramic coated headers either, probably 2k.

All that said above, I don't modify my Tahoe. My GTO on the other hand I have a full exhaust, new intake manifold, Cold air induction system, and a dyno tune that gained about +60 rwhp over stock on a LS2 motor. Then again the car is really loud and something I don't want for the Tahoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924