Shredded Denali autoride shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BusaEric

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a 2006 Denali XL last week. The service autoride warning comes on. I was planning on painting my calipers tonight and when I crawled under it, I noticed that the air bags on the shocks were shredded. I was wondering how much it would cost to replace these and where I could find them. Also wondered if driving it with the shocks like this will be harmful to the truck.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They extremly expensive. somewhere around 350+$ each.

Most ppl go bilstiens and put in a resistor in the plug on the harness to turn off the SST light.

OP
OP
B

BusaEric

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ah man, thats not what i was wanting to hear but i appreciate the answer. how much do the bilsteins run? Will it still level the rear end with a load?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope the bilstiens will not auto lvl. But... you can get bags that you can adjust the ride hight with a load.

If I remember correctly, someone posted a aftermarket auto ride shock that wasnt quite as expensive as the OEM. But I cannot remember who made them or the post name...

Im shure you can find it with alil search tho..
Auto ride shock replacement is brough up alot around here.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Here you go, man.

I had to replace my rear air shocks and compressor right after buying my rig used as well. The OEM shocks were ridiculously expensive....$5-600 per shock, and another $500 or so for a compressor. With labor, it was approaching $2k.

So I looked around and found these guys. They partnered with Bilstein to create an autoride replacement air shock for much less. These are a replacement, they don't use the electronic dampening system, but come with error code eliminators. They also have OEM remanufactured shocks that still use the electronic dampening system if you'd rather get those. They cost the same either way.

$379/pair with Bilstein on them and their lifetime warranty. They work great, been running them for a couple of years now. I also had to get the compressor, which they also make and sell for $179, which is waaaay less than OEM. They have awesome customer service, too. I really can't recommend these guys highly enough, they've treated me right as a customer.

Arnott Industries, Inc.

Link to GMC Yukon parts page:

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_GMC_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid15_pid95.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BusaEric

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the link and recommendation DenaliAK. Its obvious I need to replace the shocks but how would I be able to tell if I need to replace the compressor?

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Do you hear it ever come on? It should cycle on for a few seconds after starting the truck. However, if your shocks are blown I can almost gaurantee you've burned out the compressor motor. It would always be on.

All that said, I'm not a mechanic and am not sure how to test it. If you put new shocks in and it does nothing then you need a new one...lol.

04denali

Reaction score
I agree with DenaliAK... I blew my air shocks by having an extremely heavy dump trailer hooked up.. I didnt know i had blown them at the time, i think they were dry rotted anyway. I have 150,000 miles on them.. I noticed the compressor was coming on more and more until the service ride control light came on.. Got under there, saw my shocks were filled with holes and realized my compressor had gone out due to the constant pumping. Arnott would be the cheapest way.. dealership wanted $675 to replace shocks only.. But i found the Arnott products and thats your best bet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richie255