Autoride Suspension conversions: replacement coils or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E-Force

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2005 Denali: Regarding suspension conversion kits, why do some manufactures include rear coil springs while some do not? just spoke to Arnott on the phone and they think I don't have rear coils, but I do. My wife has a 2002 Tahoe with Autoride and her's has rear factory coils as well. The Arnott conversion kit is labled " Air Spring to Coil Spring Conversion Kit". I think this is misleading because I don't really have Air Springs, I have Coils with air shocks that modify the ride height. the shocks don't carry the whole load. This situation is driving me crazy.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rear springs in an autoride (air bladders' on the rear shocks) truck are softer springs which get 'supported' by the air bladders, resulting in a softer, but still agile (for a truck) ride. If you remove the autoride rear shocks and replace with standard shocks, you need stiffer springs, as you won't have the air bladder 'support' anymore. Just get the OEM rear springs for the non-auto ride version of your truck. I would state, however, that I've had both versions, and IMO, the autoride suspension is much better.

OP
OP
E

E-Force

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you so much! Finally, the info I was seeking (rear shocks).

Almost bought the Arnott SK-3062 for the front, but discovered it is not active electric. it costs more than their budget front shock because it is made by Eibach. From the research I've done, you have to go with the full-blown factory replacement types which cost about $400 each to get the active electric autoride (front shocks)

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

E-Force

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
BTW, I see your Yukon is a 2007 which is first year in the series. Have you experienced or heard of first year "growing pains" or design flaws that had to be addressed?

OP
OP
E

E-Force

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not referring, I'm asking if there are any. I thought there might be since the body style changed in 07.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really. It’s been a great rig. Common issues are cracked dash, bad ground connections, decals coming off HVAC, but not really that much in the way of mechanicals. The rear end clunk is a good thread to read up on.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with @Big Mama; however, in full transparency, I did not buy my new-to-me 07 until 2018.

Go to RockAuto.com or GMPartsDirect.com for the best pricing on OEM replacements, if that is the direction that you ultimately go.

OP
OP
E

E-Force

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not really. It’s been a great rig. Common issues are cracked dash, bad ground connections, decals coming off HVAC, but not really that much in the way of mechanicals. The rear end clunk is a good thread to read up on.
Thanks!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts