Should I get new shocks? Lowered question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a belltech 3/5 kit on my truck. I sit at 32.25'' in the front and 32.75 in the rear. The kit had come with shock extenders so i still have stock shocks. I was looking into belltech street performance rear shocks, will having those make me go a little lower in the rear?

I remember i had talked to kasey (thehoe92) and he said he had pulled his shocks before and let the truck sit on the springs (temporarily) and it was a little lower.

If those shocks will make a difference, i looked on summit at you go through the fitment guide it asks you if your vehicle is stock height or lowered and it asks how many inches its lowered. What do i choose? Do i say its stock height because i have shock extenders or get a shock that is shorter because its lowered?

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
With all that stereo weight, you do not want Belltech SP shocks. They are too mushy and soft for you.
Get some regular stock length Bilstein HDs and run them with your extenders. The issue is at 5", I think that extenders with stock length shocks is still too tall.
You could look into some shorter universal shocks like the Bilstein 5100s. They have the perfect stiffness for your weight.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all that stereo weight, you do not want Belltech SP shocks. They are too mushy and soft for you.
Get some regular stock length Bilstein HDs and run them with your extenders. The issue is at 5", I think that extenders with stock length shocks is still too tall.
You could look into some shorter universal shocks like the Bilstein 5100s. They have the perfect stiffness for your weight.

^^^this...I'm at a 2/4 drop and I'm running the Belltech SP's in the rear but I don't have a heavy system in the back and therefore no real weight back there. After running these for a year now I can see how if there was a significant weight back there how they'd be too soft. I'd go with the Bilstein's as well.

OP
OP
NoPh33rRaCiNg

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Perfect, thanks for the info.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In rear 4 or more i run the djm hardware kit makes the rear ride better and handle better also.

Did you cut the rear bumpstop brackets off the truck??

Also i use the belltech street performance shocks on many of my cutomers trucks with the 5305 coils and with the stops cut in rear rides great. This is the same shock i use with my tb rear spring set up and you can see how many people have been happy with that one.

What I would add is helper bags much better ride then going with the bilsteins (i sell those two if interested)

A 5305 coils with belltech sp shocks and helper bags rides better than the 5305 with bilsteins and due to having the helper bags in rear you can load it up with no issues.

If you have any questions feel free to email me or text me my info is down below and im around 24/7 to help

OP
OP
NoPh33rRaCiNg

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In rear 4 or more i run the djm hardware kit makes the rear ride better and handle better also.

Did you cut the rear bumpstop brackets off the truck??

Also i use the belltech street performance shocks on many of my cutomers trucks with the 5305 coils and with the stops cut in rear rides great. This is the same shock i use with my tb rear spring set up and you can see how many people have been happy with that one.

What I would add is helper bags much better ride then going with the bilsteins (i sell those two if interested)

A 5305 coils with belltech sp shocks and helper bags rides better than the 5305 with bilsteins and due to having the helper bags in rear you can load it up with no issues.

If you have any questions feel free to email me or text me my info is down below and im around 24/7 to help

Thanks for the help. I trimmed the bump stops a little and i have those 5305 springs as well it rides like a dream right now. I was just looking for another 1/2'' lower in the rear. The stereo is getting pulled in 2 months so there wont be as much weight back there, im building a comp vehicle. I will have something in there but not 4 15's anymore. Hopefully it doesnt go up more in the back, these springs are progressive rate springs so the more load you add they stiffen up i believe? I used to tow trailers and stuff and it never rubbed.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
stereo pulled its going to come up. On the 5305 for every 200 pounds you add to the rear it lowers it 5/8 of a inch. This is the same on all 00-13 trucks with the 5305 springs

OP
OP
NoPh33rRaCiNg

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stereo pulled its going to come up. On the 5305 for every 200 pounds you add to the rear it lowers it 5/8 of a inch. This is the same on all 00-13 trucks with the 5305 springs

Ok, so would i be safe with the belltech SP shocks after i pull all the stereo weight. If so, you sell those shocks correct and could get me the proper length shocks?

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
if your doing towing id just slap in the helper bags always helps with ride. Also if you look at your swaybar links prob facing toward the ground.

More than 3 inches i always cut the brackets off for better ride

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redoak76