Should I buy now or later?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

05RubiconLJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I sincerely appreciate everyone's input, thus far. I was offline for a few days, so I apologize for starting the thread and then disappearing.

I have owned 6 Toyota vehicles in my lifetime. They are tough as nails, but are not bulletproof. My current Tacoma has issues, which the dealer says are 'what Tacoma's do'. I took it to another dealer and they said 'all Tacoma's do that, I don't know why'. They are simple annoyances that you get used to, but certainly not what you expect out of a Toyota. In addition, I have had Honda, Acura, Ford, Audi, Mazda and Jeep products (Acura, Jeep, and Toyota in the garage right now). Never had much of a problem out of any of them.

I don't mind the cost of new, as I am going to keep it, but traditionally I have favored used when it make sense. I bought my Taco new due to the strong resale...you almost pay the same for used. To that point, the Ford dealer offered me $2k less than what I paid for it in 2018 on trade for an F-150 earlier this year.

Of the vehicles I would be interested in owning, the GMC is new to market, the F-150 is coming soon new to market, the Tundra is a year out. I don't like Sequoia's and I don't like Expeditions. Jeep has a new GW coming, which is awful looking. I want to tow a camper and I also want to tow my Jeep to events on a tandem trailer. A truck would do that all day long, but I think the Yukon will do fine. I like the family friendly nature of the Yukon and the creature comforts.

Where I live the dealer lots are barren, especially GM dealers. I have a price already on a 2021 F-150 ($1,000 under invoice + any discounts/rebates available at delivery). GMC said they could work with me. I'm not buying anything until (a) I can see one in person and (b) my wife can see one in person. I drove an SLT, but the dealer said the AT4, while similar, will seem different.

malba2366

Reaction score
Anyone getting discounts right now on Yukons? I called a couple dealers and they said their managers won't even entertain below MSRP right now. I can't use the supplier/first responder discounts even though I qualify for both since the vehicle will be titled to a business. Im sure by December/January there will be thousands on the hood or an employee sale for all promotion.

OP
OP

05RubiconLJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Although I have not purchased, I have spoke to three area dealers and they are discounting where I live in Arkansas. One dealer is even advertising 2021's below MSRP. Even in limited supply, there are deals to be had.

cpayne5

Reaction score
Although I have not purchased, I have spoke to three area dealers and they are discounting where I live in Arkansas. One dealer is even advertising 2021's below MSRP. Even in limited supply, there are deals to be had.

I bought a Tahoe High Country 3 weeks ago. MSRP was $82,500. I paid $76,500 before taxes and fees. I figured for a brand new model, it was a fair deal for both parties.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When newly engineered vehicles, like most products, are introduced to the market for sale they have very limited factory testing done on them. The manufacturer relies on the new owners to "test out" their vehicles or products. So when a newly designed vehicle, with all the new, whiz bang toys, comes on the market...beware. You'll be doing the testing and when it fails to produce the implied results YOU will be taking YOUR time to get it to the dealer so they can figure out what went wrong. And if your dealer is like most the fix will be paid for, but they don't give you a courtesy vehicle to replace your brand new piece of crap. My dealer, Honolulu GMC Buick Cadillac has a deal with Enterprise Rental Cars to provide vehicles at a discount, but seeing as how I just put major bucks in their pocket it would be a lot nicer if it was FREE!!! Who wants pie!!!

yukontruckman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone getting discounts right now on Yukons? I called a couple dealers and they said their managers won't even entertain below MSRP right now. I can't use the supplier/first responder discounts even though I qualify for both since the vehicle will be titled to a business. Im sure by December/January there will be thousands on the hood or an employee sale for all promotion.

Are you anywhere near Laura GMC in IL? They are advertising $4K off sticker right now. They will also ship, but that of course eats into your discount.

OP
OP

05RubiconLJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, every dealer does it differently. When I bought my Tacoma, I had it back the next week for issues I was having (see previous comments about 'that's what they do'). The dealer will give loaners, but only after they establish you have a warranty issue. They told me, seriously, that they could courtesy shuttle me home and if they determine I have a warranty issue, courtesy shuttle me back for a loaner. I could, however, 'rent' a loaner for $30 per day, but if it turned out to be a warranty issue, would only comp the days the truck was considered 'under warranty'. This is from a dealer that just 5 days prior I bought a new truck from.

The flip side of that, I bought a used Mazda (not from Mazda) which was still under warranty. A digital screen started flickering and I took it to Mazda to have it looked at. They gave me a loaner on the spot. They called me a day later and said that it was fixed, but could I leave it for a few more days, as they identified some other possible warranty issues. When I picked the car up the dash was fixed, the front seats reupholstered, the shift boot replaced, and some other things I can't recall. It made a big impression on me. I bought a car from their sister dealership next door.

malba2366

Reaction score
Are you anywhere near Laura GMC in IL? They are advertising $4K off sticker right now. They will also ship, but that of course eats into your discount.

No I am not. I can wait A bit. It seems like 10% off sticker is basically the norm for every other large SUV At the moment (Expedition, X7, GLS)... I’m sure the GM models will get there soon once the volumes build up on the lots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160