Should be EASY question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm planning out my amplifier power and cable runs and just want to make sure this is a sound amplifier power cable run.

On the amplifier instruction sheet, it says to run a dedicated 100 Amp wire and fuse directly from the battery to the amp, with the fuse located close to the battery as illustrated in the top of my drawing.

I will be running two amps that will be located under my passenger seats, so planned to run a 1/0 gauge wire (200 amp fuse) to the rear seat area with a "Y" splitter to each separate amp (with 100 amp fuse on each leg) as pictured in the lower half of my drawing.

I'm sure no one runs two separate power runs to the battery for their amps?

AmpWiring.jpg

Is that the right way to do it??

Thanks for any input. Joe:Handshake:

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would only run a 100amp off the battery, not the 200amp. If something happens to your cable from the amps to the battery you will have a small arc welder going on. it takes a lot to blow a 200amp fuse. Think of it this way, most homes run a 200amp service.

2000Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your amplifier manufacture should specify what size of inline fuse to run.

If your amp has visible fuses add them up and the closest amp fuse is what you use, for example if you have two 40 amp fuses you would use a 100 amp fuse.

I may be wrong about the second method but that's what I've done in the past and never had any problems.

And the first diagram you have shown is how I would run it if that were going to be my setup.

RynoHarris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The second picture is pretty much what you need to do. But they make a fuse block that splits your original power wire from the battery to two outputs for your amps. The block should have two seperate fuses for each amp. Don't go cheap on the block though. My buddy had a scosche dual amp fuse block and it melted from arcing inside, turned out to be a flaw in the way it was built. And for your grounds just ground them close to the amps. And run all the RCA cables on the opposite side of your power wire to avoid possible engine/tranny whine through the speakers.

Sent from my HTC One X

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do the second one but you need to make sure that the wire compliments the huge fuse! I personally like the idea of the first one because it provides separate feed paths for each amp while keeping the size of wire at a manageable size!

Last edited:

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can do either, usually is cheaper and easier to run 2 4 gauge wires as opposed to the 0 gauge. However you can do it either way. I would personally do the 0 gauge split to 2 4s at the amps. It usually looks cleaner start with a 150 at the battery and 2 100's just before the amps. If you blow the 150 you can up it. I doubt the 150 will trip though

OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appriciate the responses!!

I would only run a

what you use, for example if you have two 40 amp fuses you would use a 100 amp fuse.

.....past and never had any problems.

The second picture is pretty much what you need

I personally like the idea of the first one because it provides separate feed paths

I would personally do the 0 gauge split to 2 4s

I wanted to say I appreciate all of your responses. I'm gathering my supplies for the next phase of my audio upgrade so getting a solid plan in my head to buy the right stuff!!

My power and grounding, rcas and speaker wire, along with various ends and lugs are on my purchase list before I buy my first amp.

Once I buy my door speakers amp, my head unit and all of this wiring goes in!

THANKS TO ALL!!

:D Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz