Shocks for 2003 Tahoe with 3'' lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebro55

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have had my Tahoe for about a year and I saved up some money to do the lift and wheels. List of what I did:

-3'' lift (changed the torsion keys in the front and but 2 aluminium blocks on the rear)
- bought some used 17'' aluminium rims
- bought 4 Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 a/t

I plan on upgrading the lift in the future, but I am happy with it now.
The problem I am facing is I need to get new shocks all around, but I don't know which to get.
I have some 'shock extenders' but I don't know if that makes a difference. I just need some shocks that will fit with the lift.
Below is a pic of the truck
IMG_3094[1].JPG

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Key lift in the front doesnt really change anything shock wise. You have not increased travel in any way. All you've done is trade droop for uptravel.

Get some bilstein 5100s.

I'd run longer shocks in the rear. Again I'd run bilstein 5100s for a 2 to 3 inch lift. You should no longer need your extenders.

Bang for the buck 5100s are the best choice for a lifted ride. The digressive valving is great for control on the street and softens up when you work them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thebro55

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Key lift in the front doesnt really change anything shock wise. You have not increased travel in any way. All you've done is trade droop for uptravel.

Get some bilstein 5100s.

I'd run longer shocks in the rear. Again I'd run bilstein 5100s for a 2 to 3 inch lift. You should no longer need your extenders.

Bang for the buck 5100s are the best choice for a lifted ride. The digressive valving is great for control on the street and softens up when you work them.
Ok, I will check them out. Where do you recommend I should get them? Thanks Chris.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO you have autoride? I usually buy from amazon or rockauto, but Ive purchased from 4wheel parts and summit also depending on sales.

https://cart.bilsteinus.com/results...74427987634804&submodelid=4742662103197938722

B8 5100 - Shock Absorber
Part Number:24-186643
Product Type:Shock Absorber
Position:Front
Notes:

-For Front Lifted Height: 2-2.5"

-With Torsion Key Lift

-Without Z55 Autoride Suspension Package

-Without Police Package

Collapsed Length (IN)12.54
Extended Length (IN)16.30
Collapsed Length (MM)318.5
Extended Length (MM)414.0
FinishZinc Plated
ReservoirNo
Body DesignSmooth Body (Non-Coilover)
Body Diameter46mm

https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-186643-5100-Shock-Absorber/dp/B00BYNJAVW

B8 5100 - Shock Absorber
Part Number:24-185783
Product Type:Shock Absorber
Position:Rear
Notes:

-For Rear Lifted Height: 3"

-Without ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride Nivomat Suspension

-Without Z55 Autoride Suspension Package

-Without Police Package

Collapsed Length (IN)16.16
Extended Length (IN)26.14
Collapsed Length (MM)410.5
Extended Length (MM)664.0
FinishZinc Plated
ReservoirNo
Body DesignSmooth Body (Non-Coilover)
Body Diameter46mm

https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-185783-5100-Shock-Absorber/dp/B009FU66FO

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilsteins. Nothing else comes close.
Not at less than $100 a shock thats for sure.

Ive installed kyb monomax, bilstein 4600s/5100s/5125's, monroe reflex, pro comp prorunner, gabriel maxcontrols on various vehicles lifted/dropped/stock whatever. I always preferred the bilsteins. Im sure rebuildable bypass shocks are an improvement like foxes or something, but I've never gone that route.

SUBURBIAN

All Chevy
Reaction score
Not at less than $100 a shock thats for sure.

Ive installed kyb monomax, bilstein 4600s/5100s/5125's, monroe reflex, pro comp prorunner, gabriel maxcontrols on various vehicles lifted/dropped/stock whatever. I always preferred the bilsteins. Im sure rebuildable bypass shocks are an improvement like foxes or something, but I've never gone that route.

The Max Controls I tried were junk.
The KYB version of the nivomats left a LOT to be desired. Wound up deleting the smooth ride with moog springs and bilsteins on that rig.
Never ran the procomps, but tend to stay away from the 4WP/affiliate stuff altogether for obvious reasons.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Max Controls I tried were junk.
The KYB version of the nivomats left a LOT to be desired. Wound up deleting the smooth ride with moog springs and bilsteins on that rig.
Never ran the procomps, but tend to stay away from the 4WP/affiliate stuff altogether for obvious reasons.
I installed procomps on a buddy's ride.

Yeah I intend to get rid of the auto ride on the caddy as soon as I have some sort of problem with it. Everything works atm. That's what I did on my old denali since the bags were blown. I made the mistake of trying some cheaper shocks at first and then replaced them in 6 months with 4600s.

denali5500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's a sweet ride! Can you tell me the specific tire and wheel size? Offset and everything?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts