Shake above 70 mph, gets worse as I go faster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbenson

Reaction score
I own a 2015 Yukon Denali with 171,*** miles on it. I now have a bad shake at 70mph plus that I cannot outrun as I go faster, it only gets worse. New wheels and tires installed roughly 3000 miles ago back home. Now at school, I had my local dealer check to see if any wheels were out of balance causing this shake. They claimed there was one wheel that needed to be rebalanced, which they did. I took it back on the highway and the problem is still there.

I had new brakes at 156,000... lower ball joints at 144,000...tires only have 3000 miles... no body damage that would cause wind to make it shake, etc. I have no idea what is wrong at this point. I thought it was the rear shocks since they were blown out... but replaced those last weekend and it did not fix it.

I do a lot of highway miles so this is super annoying to have.. and I assume a symptom of what could be something broken. Would like to get another 60k miles out of this truck and at least make it after graduation before buying a new one.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

What are the conditions of your wheels? A bent, or out of spec geometry, wheel could cause this issue. I had a wheel that was slightly bent, and the high speed shake issue at 70+ mph could not be fixed by simple balancing. I had the wheel straightened, and the vibration at 70+ went away. I'm not saying that this is necessarily the resolution of your shake issue, but this was my resolution to my shake issue.

Other folks will chime in.

OP
OP
lbenson

lbenson

Reaction score
Have them ROAD FORCE balance them. Showing up after new tires wheels means thats where to look. Which brand of tires?

Thanks for the response. I had new Michelin Defenders installed. Have had great experiences with them before.

OP
OP
lbenson

lbenson

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

What are the conditions of your wheels? A bent, or out of spec geometry, wheel could cause this issue. I had a wheel that was slightly bent, and the high speed shake issue at 70+ mph could not be fixed by simple balancing. I had the wheel straightened, and the vibration at 70+ went away. I'm not saying that this is necessarily the resolution of your shake issue, but this was my resolution to my shake issue.

Other folks will chime in.

Thanks for welcoming me. Glad to be here.

My wheels were brand new when I purchased them (from Discount Tire back home). I am not sure if they checked here or not for a bent wheel, but I do suppose that could be a possibility. I don't think it is anything broken on the truck itself, drove totally smooth to Vail, CO and back (over 2000 miles) right before the new wheels and tires were installed, without any shaking on the old Michelin Defenders and 22" factory rims.

OP
OP
lbenson

lbenson

Reaction score
Just spoke over the phone with the dealer that looked over the tire shop's work. They did not see any bend in any of the wheels on their machine or any tire defects. Will be having a mechanic ride with me in the AM tomorrow so I can demonstrate the shake as they did not get the vehicle going fast enough.

I did have them check and road force them as well (forgot to mention in my reply above). I believe they said the fronts were around 30-33 as far as a value goes, they got it down to 15-16 now (I think.)

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have ALOT of miles. It could be a bad bearing on front hubs.

EDIT- Usually Front hubs will cause steering wheel shake.

Last edited:

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The road force balancing maching is only as good as the person running it, some shops just do a better job than others, never had great luck with the dealerships, they just do not do as many tires as some of the tire shops

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the passenger side bushing on my steering rack and made a huge difference

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have the front axle shafts checked, our denali as well as a fwd car we have had some shake issue was both an axle getting bad and basically rotating off center ( the cv joint gets sloppy)