Shake above 70 mph, gets worse as I go faster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: it turns out one of the wheels was bent. Getting it replaced next week.
And they said none were bent....I wouldn’t go back to that tire shop. They should have seen that when they were road force balancing it, it’s hard to miss. It’s so hard to find decent tire stores. I had balancing issues on some 26’s and went back 3 times. Finally I went to another shop that does a lot of custom wheels and one tire was out of round. The first shop should have seen it the very first time it was mounted. Idiots.

OP
OP
lbenson

lbenson

Reaction score
And they said none were bent....I wouldn’t go back to that tire shop. They should have seen that when they were road force balancing it, it’s hard to miss. It’s so hard to find decent tire stores. I had balancing issues on some 26’s and went back 3 times. Finally I went to another shop that does a lot of custom wheels and one tire was out of round. The first shop should have seen it the very first time it was mounted. Idiots.

It's so odd they missed it when road forcing and it only took a Discount Tire store 20 mins to see that (didn't take it there initially as the nearest one is an hour from me here). Especially since they told me the exact wheel was completely out of balance, that should have been a complete red flag! It was even my local GMC dealer too. I've had no issues with them before and in fact their prices here in Bloomington, IN are way more reasonable than the dealers where I am from in MN. Oh well.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest test is to rotate your tires from front to back and see if the vibration Changes. It won’t go away completely but you’ll feel it less in the back. Doesn’t fix your problem but it will tell you if it’s your wheels or not

OP
OP
lbenson

lbenson

Reaction score
Dang it... looks like bent wheel was apart of the problem but the shake is still there at higher speeds. Back to the drawing board on this one...

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang it... looks like bent wheel was apart of the problem but the shake is still there at higher speeds. Back to the drawing board on this one...
Swap front tires to the back and see if it changes like @Tonyv__ suggested.

OP
OP
lbenson

lbenson

Reaction score
Should probably have mentioned this earlier but the shake is inconsistent. Ex: set cruise at 80... shakes for a little bit, then goes awake, then comes back.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try removing the rear driveshaft and "feel" the u joints. Wouldnt hurt to grab front axle shafts and hubs for a looseness feel.

jdadams21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Tahoe. 140k miles Have this issue now. new tires, new brakes, new rotors, new transmission. still vibrates over 73 mph. joined this forum hoping for answers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts