Service Stabilitrak/Traction Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yugo

Reaction score
Abs light on? Probably wheel bearing, especially if any noise is present.

I remember in another post you stated around 128k miles. If not replaced yet, then probably is bearing. Mine went out around 130k.

OP
OP
dross99_si

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drives fine with no other symptoms. Came on when we were headed to the store. Coming home from the store it never come back.
I was reading about a multitude of causes such as wheel sensor, steering position sensor, bad battery, dirty throttle body, bad brake switch under dash, etc.. None of which seem traction or stability related. Very strange. Many people saying it's intermittent and super random.
I just hope it doesn't rear it's ugly head again, LOL..

Yugo

Reaction score
Correct, many things can cause it. Even a misfire. If cruise control is working, bad brake switch can be ruled out.

Just keep an eye on it, hopefully doesn't come back.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked brake fluid level?

My wife's Tahoe throws every few weeks "Service Tabilitrak", "Service Traction Control" and "Service Brakes" warnings and every time it takes almost a whole 12oz. bottle of fluid.

I guess the master cylinder is leaking into the booster and I need to change both at some point. Meh...

OP
OP
dross99_si

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never came back after that day. Fluid has since been flushed and pads changed all around. Doubt it was brake system related. Thanks for the reply though!

Rod Ming

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds familiar. I recently bought a 2007 Tahoe LS on line and quickly found it had several electrical issues regarding Cruise, StabiliTrak, and traction control. On this forum I found info about replacing the switch on the brake pedal to solve the cruise problem, which I tried with success. But the StabiliTrak and traction control warnings still exist. In addition, a new glitch showed up in that when coasting, it feels like the brakes are being applied without touching the pedal. It also appears to pull the vehicle to the left. This only happens sporadically, but it kind of makes you wonder if the vehicle is safe to drive. Some research revealed dealer repair costs of up to $600 for the replacement of wheel speed sensors (which I don't know is the problem), so I hope someone can offer some suggestions I can try before going to that alternative.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have it scanned for codes—even if they’re not active the computer may have a clue for you

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds familiar. I recently bought a 2007 Tahoe LS on line and quickly found it had several electrical issues regarding Cruise, StabiliTrak, and traction control. On this forum I found info about replacing the switch on the brake pedal to solve the cruise problem, which I tried with success. But the StabiliTrak and traction control warnings still exist. In addition, a new glitch showed up in that when coasting, it feels like the brakes are being applied without touching the pedal. It also appears to pull the vehicle to the left. This only happens sporadically, but it kind of makes you wonder if the vehicle is safe to drive. Some research revealed dealer repair costs of up to $600 for the replacement of wheel speed sensors (which I don't know is the problem), so I hope someone can offer some suggestions I can try before going to that alternative.

That may be stabilitrac activating, if you have a bad wheel speed sensor(part of the front hubs) they will be sending faulty info to the ECU, which may make the ECU think you are sliding, and stabilitrac is trying to correct it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout