"Service Brake System" ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My info center is kicking up a "Service Brake System" warning. It's not throwing any OBDII codes, so I'm thinking is a milage related "dummy warning" used to get the truck in the shop for scheduled maint; but I'm not sure.

Anybody hip to this?

Thanks in advance!

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its gonna be something with the ABS control or computer or whatever. Bring in it to at least get it diagnosed and see what you're looking at. The ABS module went out on my father in law's 99 Silverado about 2 years ago. He got sveral quotes to have it replaced and the cheapest was still over 800 bucks! He said "**** it, I can ride without ABS for all I care. I been driving trucks for over 20 years with no ABS, so if this one doesn't have it either, oh well."

OP
OP
chip

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wasnt there a brake recall on these?

I don't know. That's a great question!

Its gonna be something with the ABS control or computer or whatever. Bring in it to at least get it diagnosed and see what you're looking at. The ABS module went out on my father in law's 99 Silverado about 2 years ago. He got sveral quotes to have it replaced and the cheapest was still over 800 bucks! He said "**** it, I can ride without ABS for all I care. I been driving trucks for over 20 years with no ABS, so if this one doesn't have it either, oh well."

That's about where I'm at right now. LoL!

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
check around, could have swore I read a brake recall on these...I will look too.

Vincesrg03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my Yuk about a year ago. Replaced rear pads cuz they needed it. Light went out for about 3 days then came back on. took it to the stealership and they told me it was the vacuum motor assist by the brake booster. Said it cycles every 5 seconds and when it goes bad it tells the pcm to trigger a light. They said eventually you will lose the vacuum assist and your brake pedal will be very hard to press. Since it was still under warranty they repaired. Its like a 60 dollar part plus labor, total was like 300 bucks. By the way they say you can hear it cycle when you press the brake pedal and listen for it. They actually showed me on another Yukon they had there. You can hear the motor working. Maybe have it checked out. I wouldnt want to be driving around in a 5000 lbs truck when my brakes go out. At least have the dealer or shop diagnose the problem, then you know what the problem is, and either they can fix, or if your handy you can do it.:)

OP
OP
chip

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wasnt there a brake recall on these?

check around, could have swore I read a brake recall on these...I will look too.

"...the recall involved the 1999-2002 model years of the Chevrolet Avalanche, Chevrolet Silverado, Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Sierra, GMC Yukon and GMC Yukon XL."

Same thing happened to my Yuk about a year ago. Replaced rear pads cuz they needed it. Light went out for about 3 days then came back on. took it to the stealership and they told me it was the vacuum motor assist by the brake booster. Said it cycles every 5 seconds and when it goes bad it tells the pcm to trigger a light. They said eventually you will lose the vacuum assist and your brake pedal will be very hard to press. Since it was still under warranty they repaired. Its like a 60 dollar part plus labor, total was like 300 bucks. By the way they say you can hear it cycle when you press the brake pedal and listen for it. They actually showed me on another Yukon they had there. You can hear the motor working. Maybe have it checked out. I wouldnt want to be driving around in a 5000 lbs truck when my brakes go out. At least have the dealer or shop diagnose the problem, then you know what the problem is, and either they can fix, or if your handy you can do it.:)

Awesome post! Thanks for that. Do you have a pic of the part and/or location?

Any other ideas are still welcomed.

Thanks again guys!

Vincesrg03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look on the brake booster, its right where the vacuum line comes in. theres a harness right under the master cylinder, follow it to the part. Turn your yuk on and have someone press the brake pedal, then put your hand on it and you will feel it vibrate about once every 5-8 seconds. At least thats what the service manager showed me on the other Yuk. I felt it on that one, but not mine. Depending on how quiet your motor is you can hear it also. Its supposed to control the vacuum to the brake booster, so the brake pedal always feel the same when depressed. It helps because the vehicle is so heavy(duh we all know that), and when your loaded and towing. I would spend the fee on the diagnostic, at least, so i know for sure. I hate it when any stupid light comes on the DIC.:emotions122: good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
chip

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks brother! I'll be getting to the bottom of today, if it stops raining.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my FIL had his diagnosed at the dealer. They said it was his ABS module. They said his brakes would work fine, just he had no ABS. I would find out exactly what it is before you decided what parts to swap and what not. Hopefully its not something critical that will cause your brakes to fail completely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz