Service 4wd light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JF91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 99 gmc yukon, Service 4wd light is on the dash cluster and all the 4x4 switches are lit up solid including the neutral. No switch activity. I replaced the transfer case shift motor and still the same. Any ideas? Thanks!

Wolfpackfan21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just fixed this on mine. It was the switch itself. $20 part on Amazon. In my situation the buttons had cracked from age and it was dust/moisture getting in there that caused it to go bad. Funny thing is I had bought a replacement switch just because the old one looked like crap but had it in a shop to get the 4wd looked at and this was the solution ended up costing me $150

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just fixed this on mine. It was the switch itself. $20 part on Amazon. In my situation the buttons had cracked from age and it was dust/moisture getting in there that caused it to go bad. Funny thing is I had bought a replacement switch just because the old one looked like crap but had it in a shop to get the 4wd looked at and this was the solution ended up costing me $150
I think this may be my issue. Light started coming on the dash Sunday and happened to have a good scanner handy but no codes. My switch has been been blank off and on for a while now so I should have already replaced it :(

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think this may be my issue. Light started coming on the dash Sunday and happened to have a good scanner handy but no codes. My switch has been been blank off and on for a while now so I should have already replaced it :(

You'll need a scanner that can read the transfer case codes. A cheapie reader won't.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was supposedly an "asc" the mechanic replacing the engine on my Buick was the owner of the scanner. It was not however not connected to any PC.

Regardless, if the DIC has an error message, there's a code in there to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu