Service 4 wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this morning I changed the T-case fluid which was simple, then I took it out for a test drive and switched to auto and then 4 high. Everything seemed fine, no strange symptoms or noises. I looked down at the display and it read service 4 wheel drive system. There was no CEL or anything. The truck was still in 4 high and no obvious issues. I pushed the road trip button and the display went back to trans temp where I like it. Drove around for a few more minutes and the service 4WD never came back.
What do you guys think? Fluke?

nath

Reaction score
That is exactly what I thought 6 months ago. Then it started happening more frequently. Now it is on full time and I push the info button to take it off the screen but it is driving me crazy. The Oil change place says it could be the dash switch or the transfer case shift motor. I do not know where to start.
Nath

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is flashing a message, then it is probably storing a code. The "4WD system" is not one that would cause a CEL. You will probably need a more advanced code reader than what the parts store, and probably an "oil change" place, uses to pull those codes.

An independent shop should be able to pull them for you for a small fee.

OP
OP
dross99_si

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread cause it happens every time I switch to anything but 2 low. Message pops up, nothing flashing, goes away when we turn off truck and turn it back on. 4WD system works fine but the message is annoying. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

nath

Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread cause it happens every time I switch to anything but 2 low. Message pops up, nothing flashing, goes away when we turn off truck and turn it back on. 4WD system works fine but the message is annoying. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Mine did what yours is doing and now the 4wd will not engage at all.
Well I will let you know cause as soon as my daughter gets a car and stops driving my baby everyday, I am taking it to the Stealership service dept and tell them to fix it!!!

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is involved with servicing 4wd? I assumed only fluid changes which you already did. Are there sensors that may need to be looked at? Good luck troubleshooting this.

FuzzyChopz

Reaction score

My 2007 Tahoe was doing the same exact thing. I purchased " a Dorman
600-101 4WD Actuator" from Amazon for 65$ and it fixed my issues

vollosso

Reaction score
Hey guys, just picked up an '08 4x4 Ls. Looking to drop all the fluids and get everything up to par. Is there anything that needs to be done other than draining and filling them? Resetting anything? Do you guys have fluid weights and volumes for both diffs, trans and transfer case? Can i just seal these up with RTV or does everyone suggest gaskets?

afmhater

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My service 4wd light comes on everytime i turn on 4wd.
My mechanic looked at it and said the 4hi and 4lo both are
working fine but the auto 4wd is not. He said it needed some sensor and it was going to be like $300, so i just
deal with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pmack

Latest posts