Seeking Advice in Making 1st Tahoe/Yukon Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol yup thats all good with me...I just want something with HOPEFULLY under 10k miles per year and after reading the oil sucking issues with the 07'...I'm thinking about avoiding that year...

I am sure with enough research you can find exactly what you are looking for, and at a decent price!

I completely understand your feeling about a dealership, or rather, "stealership". :) I bought my Tahoe through a local dealership and the experience was okay. I have heard worse. My buddy just bought an '03 Silverado from a local guy (private seller) and he had a really good buying experience. They were able to work out a great deal.

If you want to find something near 15k I would only consider a private seller. I highly doubt you will find a dealership with one in that price range, with reasonable miles. That being said, I would check eBay listings, as well as Craigslist (that's how my friend found the Silverado). You can also check www.cars.com, and there are a number of other online places too (www.autotrader.com, www.carsforsale.com etc...).

I did do a quick search using Cars.com for the general Arizona area. One listing that stuck out as a decent price, with lots of options - a 2006 Tahoe z71 with 96,159 miles for 13,999 from a private seller. The listing can be found HERE. That may be a little more mileage then what you are looking for, but I will tell you, as long as these vehicles were taken care of, they will last a long time!!

Last edited:

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure with enough research you can find exactly what you are looking for, and at a decent price!

I completely understand your feeling about a dealership, or rather, "stealership". :) I bought my Tahoe through a local dealership and the experience was okay. I have heard worse. My buddy just bought an '03 Silverado from a local guy (private seller) and he had a really good buying experience. They were able to work out a great deal.

If you want to find something near 15k I would only consider a private seller. I highly doubt you will find a dealership with one in that price range, with reasonable miles. That being said, I would check eBay listings, as well as Craigslist (that's how my friend found the Silverado). You can also check www.cars.com, and there are a number of other online places too (www.autotrader.com, www.carsforsale.com etc...).

I did do a quick search using Cars.com for the general Arizona area. One listing that stuck out as a decent price, with lots of options - a 2006 Tahoe z71 with 96,159 miles for 13,999 from a private seller. The listing can be found HERE. That may be a little more mileage then what you are looking for, but I will tell you, as long as these vehicles were taken care of, they will last a long time!!

+1, completely agree with Dylan's (ChevyFreak) comments above.

OP
OP
W
Reaction score

Well i'll surely be doing a lot of searching before i do any buying.

I dont have that much cash on me though, so what do you think my best option(s) would be to go about being able to buy from a private seller for an amount that is over my actual cash on hand?

That is a nice deal on that Z71, the high miles did scare me off a little...that and im not in love w/the color lol.

If i purchase one and its under 100k miles, do i still get the 100k mile warranty that Chevy offers or is that void since i bought it second hand?

Thanks again Dylan

+1, completely agree with Dylan's (ChevyFreak) comments above.

Sounded good to me too :)

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
lol come on, bots don't have common courtesy! But look at the bottom in her signature, you can watch the adventures of tintin free!

Well i'll try for an 08', dont knwo if i can afford it though lol. The GMPARTS.COM link you listed didn't work..it gave me an 'under construction' page?

Thanks a ton for the seat info. I might check out youtube to see if anyone did a video on swapping out the coverings.

Sorry, that GM Parts website I was referring to was incorrect. I meant www.gmpartsdirect.com. I doubt there will be a YouTube video on it. If you author it and want help send me a PM. I just did it myself after the left bolster tore on the driver seat.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
Sorry, that GM Parts website I was referring to was incorrect. I meant www.gmpartsdirect.com. I doubt there will be a YouTube video on it. If you author it and want help send me a PM. I just did it myself after the left bolster tore on the driver seat.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Man i can see how that site is going to get me into a lot of trouble lol.

I saw one YouTube video showing how the snaps on the underside disconnect if you want to replace the covering, is that what you're talking about?

Tell me if im wrong but, with that site you sent me to with all the GM parts...you think i could look on there, find what i want and then probably get it cheaper somewhere else like ebay/amazon, or are those prices pretty much the going rate?

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have that much cash on me though, so what do you think my best option(s) would be to go about being able to buy from a private seller for an amount that is over my actual cash on hand?

It often depends on the cost of the vehicle, and how much is specifically being put down. If the cost is $5000 I would consider a "just buy it" loan, or whatever your bank may call it. These loans have a VERY low interest rate because the most you can borrow is 5K. If the cost is more then that, I would suggest a small auto loan. Assuming the cost of the vehicle is 15K, and you put 1K cash down, then the loan you would need would only be for about 14K. This is much better then the loans some people have to take out when purchasing brand new vehicles. Don't be afraid to shop around for loans as well. See what the banks can do for you! It is important to note that for some banks you must be a member/user in order to receive their services. It is okay to consider a credit union too. They are typically easier to work with. Use a loan payment estimator like the one HERE or HERE to estimate your monthly payments, and when you might expect to have the loan payed off.

The best advice I can offer you is to do your homework! Know what you are getting into, and don't forget to account for the unexpected occurrences in life (not just with a vehicle). Settle for something that meets your needs, but does not put you in the hole. Research, research, research! :Handshake:

If i purchase one and its under 100k miles, do i still get the 100k mile warranty that Chevy offers or is that void since i bought it second hand?

GM typically offers a maximum factory warranty of 100,000 miles or 5 years - whichever comes first. Because it is nearly 2012 already, the earliest model year you could get would probably be a 2008. These factory warranties are usually good for the life of the vehicle (no matter the owner), so long as it fits under the warranty period (5 years/100,000 miles).

Some companies do offer "aftermarket" warranties. Some of these are good, and others are offered by "fly by night" businesses that will take your money and run. Warranties are only good if you actually use them, if not, then they are pointless. It is, more or less, a gamble. I am not saying don't get a warranty, but check them over real well. I would suggest putting a little money away each month, in a separate fund, to use in the event of an unexpected occurrence.

Tell me if im wrong but, with that site you sent me to with all the GM parts...you think i could look on there, find what i want and then probably get it cheaper somewhere else like ebay/amazon, or are those prices pretty much the going rate?

GM Parts Direct is either much cheaper, in which case they sock you with the shipping cost, or about the same as prices seen on eBay. GMPD is great for the DIY'er to use in finding an odd part that many places, short from the dealership, sell. However, many common accessories you can find on eBay are much cheaper, have a more reasonable shipping cost, and you won't have to wait 3+ weeks to get your purchase. Don't get me wrong, GMPD is good for what it is worth, but as I have said before, it is best to look around for the best deal for your money!

Last edited:
OP
OP
W
Reaction score
It often depends on the cost of the vehicle, and how much is specifically being put down. If the cost is $5000 I would consider a "just buy it" loan, or whatever your bank may call it. These loans have a VERY low interest rate because the most you can borrow is 5K. If the cost is more then that, I would suggest a small auto loan. Assuming the cost of the vehicle is 15K, and you put 1K cash down, then the loan you would need would only be for about 14K. This is much better then the loans some people have to take out when purchasing brand new vehicles. Don't be afraid to shop around for loans as well. See what the banks can do for you! It is important to note that for some banks you must be a member/user in order to receive their services. It is okay to consider a credit union too. They are typically easier to work with. Use a loan payment estimator like the one HERE or HERE to estimate your monthly payments, and when you might expect to have the loan payed off.

The best advice I can offer you is to do your homework! Know what you are getting into, and don't forget to account for the unexpected occurrences in life (not just with a vehicle). Settle for something that meets your needs, but does not put you in the hole. Research, research, research! :Handshake:

GM typically offers a maximum factory warranty of 100,000 miles or 5 years - whichever comes first. Because it is nearly 2012 already, the earliest model year you could get would probably be a 2008. These factory warranties are usually good for the life of the vehicle (no matter the owner), so long as it fits under the warranty period (5 years/100,000 miles).

Some companies do offer "aftermarket" warranties. Some of these are good, and others are offered by "fly by night" businesses that will take your money and run. Warranties are only good if you actually use them, if not, then they are pointless. It is, more or less, a gamble. I am not saying don't get a warranty, but check them over real well. I would suggest putting a little money away each month, in a separate fund, to use in the event of an unexpected occurrence.

GM Parts Direct is either much cheaper, in which case they sock you with the shipping cost, or about the same as prices seen on eBay. GMPD is great for the DIY'er to use in finding an odd part that many places, short from the dealership, sell. However, many common accessories you can find on eBay are much cheaper, have a more reasonable shipping cost, and you won't have to wait 3+ weeks to get your purchase. Don't get me wrong, GMPD is good for what it is worth, but as I have said before, it is best to look around for the best deal for your money!

Well since i'm lookin at 15k+ at this point lol..unless i just happen to find a really sweet deal...i'll probably end up with a small auto loan. Might put a little extra down just to keep the payments a little lower but ill weight all my options to find out which way works best.

At this point all i NEED is something that looks half way decent, or something i can MAKE look decent which is my line of work anyway. It has to be able to look good cause an auto detailer with a shotty looking ride isn't good advertisement lol.

I need it to have decently low miles and no major problems. I can always add on the bells and whistles later when i can afford it. I also have to save enough to be able to afford some vinyl lettering on the back....and then start saving up for a trailer For the time being i think the SUV will have plenty of space to be able to haul all the things i currently have. Ill need the trailer for a generator and water tank (if i go that route) though.

I have been putting some $ to the side as a 'just incase' fund. Its also almost tax time and i'm not sure what thats gonna end up like either. Ive invested a LOT of money this year into gear/supplies...so maybe ill get a little return to help w/the vehicle purchase...not sure yet. I can't really remember the last time i just bought something for myself that i wanted, its all been for the business lol

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
Have you thought of a van/cargo van instead? More room inside (flooring, wall racks, etc.) and less of an interior to damage or mess up. Plus you can use the sides as billboards or create a company graphic/logo and wrap the van so that its a moving advertisement. Just a thought. Ive seen local guys driving around with a similar setup.

Hey Frank,

yes that was my initially idea. But since this is going to be a personal car also, thats why i opted out for the SUV idea instead. I'll still do some basic lettering/graphic on at least the back window...maybe the side also. But I plan to only use the interior to haul stuff for a short time. After i get the SUV I want to get a small 5x8 trailer to haul behind it and totally trick it out with graphic/logo/company name etc. If i had the $ and SPACE for 2 vehicles, then yes the van set up would be idea...but since i can only go with one vehicle, i thought id get something kinda sporty looking, put SOME advertisement on it and then get a really nice black/diamond plate trailer and go all out in designing it. I figure for the price that i can get a trailer AND have the graphics done, is the price alone i'd pay just to have a wrap done on a van...since a full wrap is usually around 2k or so.

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
Gotcha. Good thinking on the trailer. Im guessing the tax write offs would be the same or similar for the Tahoe/Yukon as the van, so might as well get something you can enjoy and use for personal :)

I'd think so. The trailer will be a 100% write off for sure...as well as any vinyl graphics/lettering put on it and the SUV. The SUV i DONT THINK can be a write off except for gas mileage...unless somehow i can write off payments and insurance instead? This will be the first time im buying a vehicle while owning a business so i'm not quite sure how the write off's will work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWDugan