Seeking Advice in Making 1st Tahoe/Yukon Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my first post here and im lookin for some help!

My name is Wills, i'm 25 and from Az and I'm looking to make my first tahoe/yukon purchase.

I own a mobile detailing company here and ive been doing work out of my old 96' Taurus for the past 6 years or so...business this past year has really picked up and its time to upgrade.

I'm still tight on money as ive heavily invested in a lot of equipment and supplies this past year, but its time for me to start hunting for a vehicle upgrade.

So since I dont know a lot about Tahoe's/Yukon's other than i think they look sweet as hell...I was hoping i could get some info from you guys.

I see different names for them, like the Tahoe LS, LT, LTZ, Z71...I have NO clue what any of these mean, so could someone break down those differences for me?

Secondly, what are the main differences other than slight body modifications between the Yukon and Tahoe?

Third, I see some listed with Flex Fuel...but not quite sure what that is, could someone explain it to me in laymans terms and why it would be beneficial to have :)

Fourth, What type of gas mileage can i expect to see from either of these guys? I'm looking at getting an 07' IF possible. I hope i can find one for a decent price.

Fifth, anyone in Az whos looking to sell one get at me lol!

Thanks all in advance for your help. If you have any other info or pointers...or advice on certain issues that certain years have, i'd be appreciative.

Thanks again,

wills

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, Welcome to TYF!

1) They are different packages that come with different options from the dealer. Generally an LTZ > LT > LS. The Z71 is an off-road style package and the LT varies in LT1, LT2, LT3 which are just slightly different options, LT3 being the best.

2) The GMC Yukon is always slightly more expensive for some odd reason. They are the same body and generally have the same options. It's the price you pay when you want the "professional grade". Yukon SLE is like the Tahoe LS. SLT is like the LT. Denali is like the LTZ but wayyyy better because it comes with a 6.2L (versus a 5.3L in the Tahoe LTZ), better leather, and a lot of other exterior/interior goodies.

3) FlexFuel means you can use the Ethanol E85 mixed gasoline.

4) Depends if you get a 5.3L or 6.2L and what size rims-- In my 08 Tahoe LTZ I was pulling in around 15mpgs. The bigger the engine and rims, the worse gas mileage.

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for 07

Do plenty of reading on this and other sites pertaining to Tahoe and Yukon.It seems that the 07 models had more problems than the later years, I believe it is because in 07 there were major technical newer developments vs the older models, as well as the later models many oddball difficulties seem to have been ironed out. Mine is an 09 and has been flawless so far.---Floep--

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum!! This is a great place that offers A LOT of information all around.

To add to what Felix has already posted -

1. It is important to note that with the different packages come different factory installed options. With the right amount of money an LS (base model) can be updated with many of the higher options, but not all. For example, if you want a power lift gate then you must purchase a vehicle with that option. If you want the automatic climate control then you must also find a vehicle that has that option already.

Here is some information from Edmunds on the 2010 Tahoe - LINK
LS comes standard with 17-inch alloy wheels, automatic headlights, cruise control, dual-zone manual climate control, rear air-conditioning, a leather-wrapped tilt steering wheel, a 40/20/40-split front bench seat with six-way power driver adjustment, a 60/40-split second-row seat and a 50/50 folding and removable third-row seat. Also standard is OnStar and a six-speaker stereo with CD player, satellite radio, auxiliary audio jack and USB audio jack. The Interior Plus package adds tri-zone automatic climate control, six-way power front bucket seats with a front center console, rear seat audio controls, Bluetooth, interior wood trim and additional body-colored exterior trim pieces. The Convenience package adds rear parking sensors, a rearview camera (available as a stand-alone option), power-adjustable pedals and remote engine start.

Upgrading to the LT brings all the LS Interior Plus and Convenience packages' equipment (minus the rearview camera, which is optional separately) and adds OnStar turn-by-turn navigation and leather upholstery. It can also be equipped with optional features not available on the LS. The Luxury Package adds power-folding exterior mirrors, a power liftgate, eight-way power front seats with driver memory functions, heated front and rear seats, and a second-row power release function. The Off-Road package adds specially tuned springs and shock absorbers, 18-inch alloy wheels with all-terrain tires, skid plates and unique front and rear fascias. Second-row bucket seats are also optional for the Tahoe LT.

The LTZ comes with the LT Luxury package as standard equipment and also has 20-inch wheels, exterior chrome trim, the rearview camera, perforated leather upholstery, additional front seat adjustment, heated and ventilated front seats, power flip-and-fold second-row bucket seats, a navigation system with real-time traffic, and a 10-speaker Bose surround-sound stereo. The Suspension package adds an air suspension with variable shock dampening and automatic load leveling. Also optional are the second-row bench and a blind-spot warning system.

The Sun, Entertainment and Destinations package available on all trims adds a sunroof, a rear-seat entertainment system and the navigation system with rearview camera. The entertainment system is also available separately. There are also a variety of 20- and 22-inch wheels available and a trailering package that includes a different rear axle ratio.

2. The difference between the Yukon and Tahoe are exterior styling mostly. Now, if we are talking about a Denali (the upper model Yukon) that is a different story. Felix explained this rather well.

3. Flex fuel is nothing special. It is supposed the be better for the environment, but at the cost and mpg decrease, it just isn't worth it. I have that option on my Tahoe, and have never even considered using E85.

4. Well don't expect the advertised highway mpg. Of course, that doesn't mean getting 21 mpg is not possible, just difficult. I get roughly 19-20mpg (highway) and 16mpg (city).

Good Luck with your purchase, and keep us updated!! Overall, these vehicles are great and, as I have said before, I LOVE my Tahoe. Let us know if you have any other questions! :Handshake:

doktorek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if this is for business and some perosnal - you are ok with LT1 which has leather seats. You dont really need NAV (factory nav sucks anyway - garmin is cheaper and better). Camera would be useful but comes on 2LT and 3 LT. You can always get one on ebay with license plate bracket for dirt $. Radio you can change to a Double din for like $450 with all the toys unless you want navi. You will save money with 1LT. YOu probably dont need mirror blinkers (3LT and up), fold up mirrors (2LT - up), BOSE (3LT-up).

You will find great deals on rental cars. I was offered 2011 with 28K miles (rental car) for $30K. But I got the 2009 3LT with bells and whistles for $32K with 26K miles.

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
First off, Welcome to TYF!

1) They are different packages that come with different options from the dealer. Generally an LTZ > LT > LS. The Z71 is an off-road style package and the LT varies in LT1, LT2, LT3 which are just slightly different options, LT3 being the best.

2) The GMC Yukon is always slightly more expensive for some odd reason. They are the same body and generally have the same options. It's the price you pay when you want the "professional grade". Yukon SLE is like the Tahoe LS. SLT is like the LT. Denali is like the LTZ but wayyyy better because it comes with a 6.2L (versus a 5.3L in the Tahoe LTZ), better leather, and a lot of other exterior/interior goodies.

3) FlexFuel means you can use the Ethanol E85 mixed gasoline.

4) Depends if you get a 5.3L or 6.2L and what size rims-- In my 08 Tahoe LTZ I was pulling in around 15mpgs. The bigger the engine and rims, the worse gas mileage.

Felix, thanks a lot for the info and the welcome man. That does help clear some things up. I know the Denail is...for lack of a better term, the shit lol. That has always been my dream SUV but unless some miracle happens, its not one of my options at the moment lol.

I think a 5.3 is all i'd need. A 6.2 would be sweet and a lot of fun but i think as much driving as i do for work, and with the possibility of getting a small trailer to haul my gear around, a 5.3 is most practical. If i can get an average of 16-18 MPG i'd be ok. I get to write off gas and mileage to some degree anyway lol...but still i'd rather not go broke and have to wait for tax time to redeem it.

Thanks again for the info man!

Do plenty of reading on this and other sites pertaining to Tahoe and Yukon.It seems that the 07 models had more problems than the later years, I believe it is because in 07 there were major technical newer developments vs the older models, as well as the later models many oddball difficulties seem to have been ironed out. Mine is an 09 and has been flawless so far.---Floep--

Is there any major difference between 07's and 09's or did they just iron out some of the wrinkles from the 07' but the look is about the same? Am i right that the 07' model is when they really upgraded and changed the Tahoe from previous years?

Flawless is what im looking for...or minor fixable flaws lol. I'm not scared to get my hands dirty but i dont want to buy a headache you know?

:welcome: to the forum!! This is a great place that offers A LOT of information all around.

To add to what Felix has already posted -

1. It is important to note that with the different packages come different factory installed options. With the right amount of money an LS (base model) can be updated with many of the higher options, but not all. For example, if you want a power lift gate then you must purchase a vehicle with that option. If you want the automatic climate control then you must also find a vehicle that has that option already.

Here is some information from Edmunds on the 2010 Tahoe - LINK

2. The difference between the Yukon and Tahoe are exterior styling mostly. Now, if we are talking about a Denali (the upper model Yukon) that is a different story. Felix explained this rather well.

3. Flex fuel is nothing special. It is supposed the be better for the environment, but at the cost and mpg decrease, it just isn't worth it. I have that option on my Tahoe, and have never even considered using E85.

4. Well don't expect the advertised highway mpg. Of course, that doesn't mean getting 21 mpg is not possible, just difficult. I get roughly 19-20mpg (highway) and 16mpg (city).

Good Luck with your purchase, and keep us updated!! Overall, these vehicles are great and, as I have said before, I LOVE my Tahoe. Let us know if you have any other questions! :Handshake:

VERY helpful info there. Few ?'s...

What exactly is the difference between a standard and power lift gate? Is one you just hit a button and it goes up where the other you have to pull it up yourself?

The climate control would be a nice plus but not needed. I live in Az and most days prefer the windows down anyway lol.

What did the Edmonds info mean with this a 40/20/40-split front bench seat with six-way power driver adjustment, a 60/40-split second-row seat and a 50/50 folding and removable third-row seat. ?

Do ALL Tahoe's and Yukons have folding 2nd and 3rd row seats? I know they don't fold flat, which is stupid cause even the Blazers fold flat, but do they at least fold up?

What is the difference with only 2 and 3 row seating...meaning for the ones withOUT the 3rd row...is it just empty back there or do they have some sort of storage or is there some other plus side i dont know about for back there?

I'm not too concerned about tons of goodies. I want something nice and workable to start out with. Id prefer leather. The exterior as long as it isn't deeply scratched to hell is no biggie to me...polishing paint and turning nothing into something is what i do for a living. I want black SOOOO bad but its such a ***** to keep up.

Are the grilles replaceable? I dont really like the plastic grille look, but was wondering if i could, and how difficult it would be, to replace it with one of the nicer chrome grilles?

Do you have any features that you think would be 'must haves' that you would advise looking for?

Thanks again man.

if this is for business and some perosnal - you are ok with LT1 which has leather seats. You dont really need NAV (factory nav sucks anyway - garmin is cheaper and better). Camera would be useful but comes on 2LT and 3 LT. You can always get one on ebay with license plate bracket for dirt $. Radio you can change to a Double din for like $450 with all the toys unless you want navi. You will save money with 1LT. YOu probably dont need mirror blinkers (3LT and up), fold up mirrors (2LT - up), BOSE (3LT-up).

You will find great deals on rental cars. I was offered 2011 with 28K miles (rental car) for $30K. But I got the 2009 3LT with bells and whistles for $32K with 26K miles.

That makes sense to me. I'd rather do a little extra work myself and add whatever bells and whistles i want that im ABLE to add later down the road, rather than pay an inflated price on getting them when i purchase the SUV.

Where do you recommend i look to find rental cars for sale?

Was the reason you paid more for an 09 rather than the 11' because the 09' had all the bells and whistles and a couple thousand less miles?

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any major difference between 07's and 09's or did they just iron out some of the wrinkles from the 07' but the look is about the same? Am i right that the 07' model is when they really upgraded and changed the Tahoe from previous years?

Many of the differences were discussed recently in a thread HERE. 2007 was the redesign, but 2009 added some of the additional options (bluetooth, minor cosmetic changes etc...).

What exactly is the difference between a standard and power lift gate? Is one you just hit a button and it goes up where the other you have to pull it up yourself?

Yeah, you pretty much got it! The power lift gate operates all by itself. It's a neat feature, and I use it from time to time, but I worry more about having to get it fixed if it ever has a problem. The non-power or manual lift gate works just like any other lift gate on an SUV.

The climate control would be a nice plus but not needed. I live in Az and most days prefer the windows down anyway lol.

I understand. The nice thing about the "automatic" climate control is the digital read out and tri-zone air (Driver has own temperature setting, passenger has own temperature setting, and the rear has own temperature settings). It is not necessary, but is a nice option, and is one that cannot be added at a later time.

What did the Edmonds info mean with this a 40/20/40-split front bench seat with six-way power driver adjustment, a 60/40-split second-row seat and a 50/50 folding and removable third-row seat. ?

Do ALL Tahoe's and Yukons have folding 2nd and 3rd row seats? I know they don't fold flat, which is stupid cause even the Blazers fold flat, but do they at least fold up?

What is the difference with only 2 and 3 row seating...meaning for the ones withOUT the 3rd row...is it just empty back there or do they have some sort of storage or is there some other plus side i dont know about for back there?

The Tahoe can seat 4 to 9 people at a time, and you can have practically any combination in between.

Most of the lower LS models forgo the center console for an additional center seat, allowing three people to sit up front. If you have a lot of people to haul around this is good for that, but I prefer the center console myself.

In the second row you can either have a bench seat (seats three) or two bucket seats (seats two). Again, this is personal preference.

The third row is an option (standard on some) which allows for additional passengers. You could either have a bench in the back (seats three) or "bucket seats" (seats two). The downside, at least in the Tahoe, is that you lose practically all of your precious cargo space with the third row installed. If you don't get the third row seats, you will just have a really big cargo space.

The second and third row seats fold down. They do fold "flat" so you get an even surface, but they do not fold into the floor. The second and third rows can also be folded forward (towards the front seats), and the third row seats (if installed) can be taken out of the vehicle at any time.

Are the grilles replaceable? I dont really like the plastic grille look, but was wondering if i could, and how difficult it would be, to replace it with one of the nicer chrome grilles?

The grilles are replaceable. It is not too difficult to do, but I am not the one to ask for specifics on this. Maybe someone else can offer some more information. You might like the LTZ style grille (chrome mesh).

Do you have any features that you think would be 'must haves' that you would advise looking for?

It really depends on what you want. Most options can be added after the fact, minus the ones I already mentioned. Bluetooth was a big one in '09+ that you might consider because of your travels.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will if there is no 3rd row it's just a big cargo space in the back. Also in 09 they came out with a 6.2L and for some reason discontinued it a year later and went back to the 5.3L but as you said the 5.3L is more practical. My GF drives my esky that's a 6.2L bc she doesn't work and takes care of a baby all day whereas my work truck (avalanche) is a 5.3L bc I drive on the highway a lot. My 6.2L esky is pulling 11.6 mpg whereas my Avalanche is getting 14.6 mpg.

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
Many of the differences were discussed recently in a thread HERE. 2007 was the redesign, but 2009 added some of the additional options (bluetooth, minor cosmetic changes etc...).

Yeah, you pretty much got it! The power lift gate operates all by itself. It's a neat feature, and I use it from time to time, but I worry more about having to get it fixed if it ever has a problem. The non-power or manual lift gate works just like any other lift gate on an SUV.

I understand. The nice thing about the "automatic" climate control is the digital read out and tri-zone air (Driver has own temperature setting, passenger has own temperature setting, and the rear has own temperature settings). It is not necessary, but is a nice option, and is one that cannot be added at a later time.

The Tahoe can seat 4 to 9 people at a time, and you can have practically any combination in between.

Most of the lower LS models forgo the center console for an additional center seat, allowing three people to sit up front. If you have a lot of people to haul around this is good for that, but I prefer the center console myself.

In the second row you can either have a bench seat (seats three) or two bucket seats (seats two). Again, this is personal preference.

The third row is an option (standard on some) which allows for additional passengers. You could either have a bench in the back (seats three) or "bucket seats" (seats two). The downside, at least in the Tahoe, is that you lose practically all of your precious cargo space with the third row installed. If you don't get the third row seats, you will just have a really big cargo space.

The second and third row seats fold down. They do fold "flat" so you get an even surface, but they do not fold into the floor. The second and third rows can also be folded forward (towards the front seats), and the third row seats (if installed) can be taken out of the vehicle at any time.

The grilles are replaceable. It is not too difficult to do, but I am not the one to ask for specifics on this. Maybe someone else can offer some more information. You might like the LTZ style grille (chrome mesh).

It really depends on what you want. Most options can be added after the fact, minus the ones I already mentioned. Bluetooth was a big one in '09+ that you might consider because of your travels.

Ill check out that link for sure.

I too worry about a lot of fancy extras..its just more things to break lol. If i were to go OLDER than an 07', is there a year you'd recommend?

Im really trying to keep the miles down on whatever i purchase...still trying to get the $ together first though.

I for sure want the center console up front. Middle seats i think buckets look nice but bench might be better for me...but if the rest of the truck is right its really either or for me.

Cargo space is really needed for me. I mean ive been haulin everything in a Taurus, so any SUV would be a huge upgrade in cargo space, but if the 3rd row folds flat it should still be useable for what i need it for...though just a huge cargo space in the back would be nice as well. So again, 3rd row is either/or for me.

Do you have any pics of the chrome mesh grille you're talking about?

Will if there is no 3rd row it's just a big cargo space in the back. Also in 09 they came out with a 6.2L and for some reason discontinued it a year later and went back to the 5.3L but as you said the 5.3L is more practical. My GF drives my esky that's a 6.2L bc she doesn't work and takes care of a baby all day whereas my work truck (avalanche) is a 5.3L bc I drive on the highway a lot. My 6.2L esky is pulling 11.6 mpg whereas my Avalanche is getting 14.6 mpg.

Yeah i figured the 6.2 would drink gas like its nothing lol. I bet that big boy moves though huh?

If i can get around that 14-16 MPG i think that would be decent. Ive been using Lucas additive in my Taurus with just regular unleaded gas...gives me an extra 2 MPG on average, sometimes a little more for weeks where im really on the freeway a lot.

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If i were to go OLDER than an 07', is there a year you'd recommend?

It's hard for me to recommend because I thoroughly enjoy my 2007 Tahoe. :) However, if you did go older, I would say either a 2005 or 2006. That doesn't mean you can't go older then that, but if you are looking for something with reasonable mileage I would look there. A 2005 will already be almost seven years old.

Do you have any pics of the chrome mesh grille you're talking about

Just look on any LTZ Tahoe/Suburban and you will see the different grille. I will provide an eBay listing HERE for reference.