Security Lug Nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In your guys opinion, what are the best security lug nuts? I just picked up some new wheels, and I’m looking to get the best I can. Something I considered is the really long spiked lug nuts. It seems like that would be the most unlikely lug key for someone to have, plus they look cool.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
If you want to know how they come off and why they're pointless, shoot me a PM. I'm loathe to give that out on the public section of the forum.

Now, if you have access to a machine shop, I can tell you how to make some that actually work. Just DO NOT LOSE YOUR KEY IF YOU DO THIS.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And there’s the rub. Don’t lose the key. Been there myself thinking the key stays with my truck stuff, right? Needless to say lost it and you know how the story ends.....

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^x2
most security lug nuts are only going to stop your general punk. someone whos actually going around stealing rims will probably just get a good laugh at your money wasted as they steal your rims. i have the splined lugs myself only because they look better and they come with wheels when i order from discount.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with @drakon543 . I considered buying security lug nuts, but I first asked around with some mechanics and cops. The consistent response was, if someone wants your wheels, particularly if they are in the business of stealing wheels, they are going to have them, regardless of what you put on for security lug nuts.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with @drakon543 . I considered buying security lug nuts, but I first asked around with some mechanics and cops. The consistent response was, if someone wants your wheels, particularly if they are in the business of stealing wheels, they are going to have them, regardless of what you put on for security lug nuts.
Yeah. Criminals can buy the same stuff that we can. As a kid I always wondered about the fake rocks they sell, or at least used to sell, to hide a spare set of house keys. They all looked the same and I’m sure criminals knew what to look for.

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok that’s what I was worried about. I know how easy it is to get past those “security” ones, seen it all the time when I worked at a tire shop. I currently have the splined ones, and I haven’t had any issues with losing my key. Unfortunately I’m sure it’s a pretty common one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues