Second set of wheels with aftermarket tpms. OEM and aftermarket set work ok?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06XLDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
06 Yukon XL Denali factory tpms working great. Was thinking of swapping my other wheels from my pickup when I tow. (Much smaller) as a test and because it should take strain of the trans and tow better.. If I put tpms in second set and program to computer can I swap back and forth? I have a feeling this will not work and may just suck up not having tpms for the tow. If you have any knowledge on this I would appreciate it.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
06 Yukon XL Denali factory tpms working great. Was thinking of swapping my other wheels from my pickup when I tow. (Much smaller) as a test and because it should take strain of the trans and tow better.. If I put tpms in second set and program to computer can I swap back and forth? I have a feeling this will not work and may just suck up not having tpms for the tow. If you have any knowledge on this I would appreciate it.
If the sensors are the proper sensors for your vehicle, I don’t see why you couldn’t swap them. You would just have to do the relearn procedure when you swap just like if you rotated tires.

OP
OP

06XLDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I understand swapping the oem sensors into the second set of wheels will work no problem. But a second set of tpms into the new wheels along with the oem set. If I want to swap back and forth. I just don't want to have to program back and forth every time with a special tpms tool.

OP
OP

06XLDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok interesting, so if this is what your talking about I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world do to this each time. Thanks man, that's cool you don't need a tool.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220504-234851_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220504-234851_Chrome.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 2

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Semi-related follow-up question...

Will wheels with TPMS from a 2013 Tahoe work with the 2004 system?

Picking up new wheels tomorrow. 2013 TPMS sensors are in there and I won't be taking them out if they end up not working. Just wondering if there is any chance they will function.

Since I have bought this 04, I have been hitting the steering wheel button to clear the message on the DIC window. So no big deal if I have to continue with that until I need tires again.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They might, but if they are original sensors from 2013, they are likely at the end of their battery life already and you will soon be back in the same boat. I would just have new sensors installed.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They might, but if they are original sensors from 2013, they are likely at the end of their battery life already and you will soon be back in the same boat. I would just have new sensors installed.
I'll give it a try. I plan to run those tires into next year, so they are in there whether they work or not.
Thanks for the reply!

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t think the 2013 sensors will work. 2012 sensors didn’t work on my 05.

Reaction score
I believe GM used 315mhz sensors up through 2018, then had both 315mhz and 433mhz in 2019 and only 413mhz on 2020+

So the 315mhz sensors from a 2013 should work in an 2004 if the batteries are still good.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand swapping the oem sensors into the second set of wheels will work no problem. But a second set of tpms into the new wheels along with the oem set. If I want to swap back and forth. I just don't want to have to program back and forth every time with a special tpms tool.
If you take the wheels with the programmed sensors off, then you’ll likely get a sensor error. I had that happen on my 2011 with a spare set