Adding another set of wheels with tires? TPMS question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question for folks running multiple sets of wheels and tires. I am going to leave my snow tires on my 20 inch rims once I wear down the stock all season tires. I will then purchase a separate set of 22" wheels with all season tires to use for the warmer months in Michigan. That way I don't have to hit the tire shop every winter and spring to swap out my snow tires. My question is when I get the new set of wheels with new TPMS sensors do those new sensors have to be cloned or will the Tahoe add them during a simple relearn process?

arcticcat522

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was told when I swap my winter wheels, I would need to go have the sensors reset. But I didn't and they figured themselves out after about a week....also, canadian vehicle of that makes a diferance.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 sets of wheels and tires, stock set is for winter and I have a custom set for summer, same here in MI. For me I purchased a TPMS relearn tool from Amazon for about $10.00 and reset the TPMS sensors myself when I change the wheels and tires over.

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might not be the total answer but I had a TPMS related issue when swapping the 22’s from my 2021 Premier. I switched to the Gloos Black version of what were the rims for the 22” Polished Aluminum rims. I had a flat with well outside trhad pattern. Had to get replacement tire anyway so that was when I went with the Gloss Black 22’s and Michelin Defender MTX A/S from NTB. When I had a promising trend of trade for the 22 Z71 I purchased a separate set of TPMS Sensors and reinstalled the Polished Aluminum 22’s. I left the OEM sensors in and figured the 22‘s would work fine on the Z71 and was ready to install the Gloss Black 22’s to the Z71 and would only need sensors. Ordered and asked Discount Tire to do the swap over of the Gloss Black 22’s to the Z71. Discount Tires software would NOT learn the new sensors. Took the GM Accessories sensors to local dealer, I dropped them off, left overnight and told them call me when the new sensors were installed and would bring by for installatio. Remember OEM Sensord, Dealer installed software and new sensors were flashed to the Gloss Black 22’s and no further issues. I stupidly traded the Z71 a few months later for a Jeep Grand Cherokee L and since the JGC-L only had a five bolt pattern the 22’s were useless. I forgot to factor the OEM 20’s as part of trade. Fast Forward jabiout 4.5 months later….JGC-L is traded and back to Tahoe Country…..23 Premier. This one doe have the “TX Edition” 22’s so riiding on the standard OEM polished Aluminm multi spoke 20’s.

Moral of the story….watch the sensors. They might be sold anywhere but good possibility of not being able to be “Flashed to the current vehicles TPMS computer. Apparently started on the MY 21 redesign. I believe my OEM sensors were around $75 ish on eBay and dealer flashed even though I didnt purchase at that deelership or ANY Dealer for that matter.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just need to be sure that the frequency that your truck uses for the current TPMS sensors is the same frequency for the new TPMS sensors.

Pertzbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know if the shop does it for me... but my wifes current 14' explorer and my 15' ram never have had issues. Maybe once they are set once - you dont need to redo it? I guess i've never had problems...

Will find out whenever our Yukon XL shows up... 14 months waiting.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I managed to score the GM OEM TPMS from the dealer for around $40 each; used my GM Rewards points to pay. No issues on the learning by Discount Tire...or the dealer, I assume they used a learn tool, as mentioned above by @zbad55 in post #3.
Discount Tire said they had them too, but for $60 each.

GM P/N: 13542523 is the sensors.
Re-learn procedure listed in Owners Manual
The previous section on Tire Fill Alert looks interesting too..didn't know about that.

1671725539606.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts