Second row seat swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My '09 Yukon xl has captain seats in the second row. With third baby on the way, the wife wants a bench seat put in. Would it be an easy swap to do or is it more involved?

If you're reading this and you're near the SF bay area wanting captain chairs i have black leather seats with heat capability in good condition. Your bench seat MUST be black leather in good condition

Thanks

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the outer bolt holes line up but measure it anyway before buying. What may not be there are the holes for the middle seat belt but I’d think something is there.

OP
OP
Mickey_7106

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, if the middle seat has the tethers for a car seat latch system then i wont have a need for a seat belt

I believe the outer bolt holes line up but measure it anyway before buying. What may not be there are the holes for the middle seat belt but I’d think something is there.

FrankC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
'06 Yukon XL - anyone want to trade their earlier model light grey bench seat for my 2ed row captains seats? Santa Barbara/LA/SF region.

scuba

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did this swap last week. 2013 LT Z71 Tahoe with captain's chairs stock; put in a 2nd row bench from a 2017 tahoe. Couple of lessons learned:
1. (applicable to you probably) the carpet for captain chair versions doesn't fully cover the area under the bench seat. The bare floor and bolts are visible from the side, and when the 2nd row is folded up. (you can see in one of the threads linked above). It's not a big deal, but I splurged for the carpet set (one piece for front 2/3rds of vehicle) for stock bench seats, and will try to install so the kids have carpet to walk on when dismounting from 3rd row.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/2007-tahoe-60-40-bench-to-captains-chairs-conversion.81061/

2. (may not apply to you) My donor bench was from a '17 b/c I like the cupholder style in the flip-down armrest. Bolt holes the same. But seat belts not compatible with retractable male ends for outboard seats. Many people in the seat-swapping business told me it was just a matter of putting my stock '13 female buckles back into the '17 bench. However, the buckle bolt holes are different, so it required angle-grinding. Also, required a huge amount of torque (had to take to a shop) to break the seatbelt buckles loose. IF your donor is the same year, shouldn't be an issue.

PS I also did the conversion from console to jumpseat in the front. There was much less help that I thought there'd be online for this, so if anyone wants tips from my experience, PM me, and I'll start a thread.

Mike N

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
'06 Yukon XL - anyone want to trade their earlier model light grey bench seat for my 2ed row captains seats? Santa Barbara/LA/SF region.
Confirming the XL needs another XL. Also, be prepared to do a carpet swap as the cutouts are different. The brackets that hold everything are just bolt on and easy to do. I did the opposite swap for bucket seats last year. the whole swap with auto and heated seats took 30 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne