School me on GMT900 Esky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTOM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I’ve never even considered an Escalade as I viewed them as too “loud” and flashy. Plus, never really saw a need for all of the creature comforts. Just more items to eventually fail.

But as I peruse what’s coming into the local lots, these are appearing with the same regularity as Tahoes and Yukons, often times at lower mileage and better overall condition, so much so that I’m considering adding them to the list of contenders as a replacement for the 2011. Don’t get me wrong, what I have has been great but she sits at about 170k and every year I get the visible rust taken care of and touched up but after each winter more starts to show. I plan on leaving the rust belt and head for the sunshine state in less than a year and figured something that’s lower mileage and maybe didn’t see much winter road time would be a decent purchase to bring down with me.

Main points of concern are general maintenance costs associated with the upscale Caddy compared to a Yukon. I don’t see why they wouldn’t be similar but then my Yukon is only a 5.3, 4WD. Not sure how a 6.2 and AWD would alter things. Second, I’d want to ditch the bucket second row usually seen in the Esky and swap in a bench. Is this doable and if the buckets are heated and cooled, can a bench be obtained with these features? Lastly, what are some of the underlying items to look out for that differ when shopping for a GMT900 hoe or yuke?

I’m here to learn from others mistakes so any and all input is welcome.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no difference maintenance wise unless you purposely take it to a caddy dealer who probably has higher cost just because of the name, otherwise it can be serviced at wherever you take the 2011 now, under the skin it's essentially the exact same thing
yes the trim is better, the engine has more horse power, it's awd. yada yada
i have the Yukon Denali it's the same drivetrain as a caddy L94, 6L80E, AWD, so one so forth, there are no "extra costs" involved a oil change is the same price as a 5.3 tahoe
the only extra cost's you might see is if you had to replace a dash or a headlight or some other caddy specific trim part, otherwise the parts are the same under the hood, same alternator, same brakes, same transmission, same differentials, etc, etc, you do not have to buy a "Cadillac spark plug" or anything retarded like that
I would have bought one but I honestly am just not attracted to the caddy trim, I do like the headlights, but all the interior trim is just not for me, seems gawdy in my opinion.

as far as swapping a bench in you can as long as it is from the same wheel base size, as to whether the heat, etc plugs would be the same that I do not know but the bench will bolt right in might have to cut a piece of carpet to get access to bolt holes.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello DTOM,

Back in October, I took the plunge on a 2013 Escalade ESV Premium. I love it! It is more subdued than most Escalades. It has less chrome, and the aluminum wheels are dark charcoal and argent painted, not chromed. This thing is built like a tank. It is my daily driver, and I am quite happy with all aspects of it. I do my own maintenance, so my costs are just parts.
Don't be afraid to consider an Escalade.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Escalade is way better than a Chevy or base Yukon and still better than a Denali. Even my wife has commented that she likes the Escalade better than her old Denali and I'm surprised she noticed. She also did not want an Escalade for the same reasons as you but I've changed her mind now. Really, most of the "extra" features on an Escalade are also present in a Denali and most of it is pretty reliable so I wouldn't worry about that. The main things that cost a lot more on an Escalade would be some of the Escalade specific trim pieces which are getting hard to find as GM discontinues everything for these trucks so don't do what I did and buy a cheaper truck intending to "restore" it because it will cost you a fortune. The headlights are the biggest concern because Yukon and Chevy headlights are halogen and pretty cheap but the Escalade HID headlights are $750+ each and the LED headlights on the Premium and Platinums are $1500+ each and GM is almost out of new ones and I'm not sure if they're going to discontinue them or if they'll have more made. The light output from the HID and LED lights is SO much better but it is one thing to keep in mind as the lenses are very commonly faded on vehicles this old. Denalis and Escalades did have a bench option which would be heated but is hard to find.

OP
OP
D

DTOM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pretty much do all of my own maintenance but that could change once I relocate as I won’t have access to a lift anymore. Point taken on the headlights. Information like that is what I’m after here. And I have kids running around, hence the desire for the bench but also why the need to restore is not even a thought I’d ever ponder. They tear everything up so such an endeavor would be an exercise in futility.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you mentioned that you're moving to warmer climes, rather than take a rust belt one with you, you might be better off buying one out of Arizona, New Mexico or Texas and taking it with you. That way you'll start with a clean one and keep it that way. Our 2007 XL Denali spent its whole life in Arizona and was garage-kept. It's like new throughout, despite having 220K on it. The price of airfare and having it shipped (or drive it home!) is cheaper than dealing with all of the rust-related issues down the road.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
What skpyle said. The premium trim will get you the front facia specific to the Platinum as well as the integrated dual exhaust tips at the rear with its amazing growl. It’s more subdued like the Denali trim but you’ll get the LED lamps most likely that last the life of the truck.

The Platinum has embroidered logo seats and Tehama leather that’s very uncommon to find a bench seat or even a donor. It’s more likely with a base or Premium. I keep mentioning premium trim because as you said they’re coming up more often. It’s due to fuel costs. Newer models w/ the 10 SP trans get about 20% better milage. The price won’t ever come down on a premium because they’re almost at collectors status because of the rear valence exhaust and have most of the Platinum trim options with less chrome.

Lastly the premium has the tricoat paint that isn’t prone to lose its clear coat. It doesn’t have the Platinum leather appointed dash but if you ever have cracking issues the Platinum leather dash bolts in with less than an hour’s time.

Lurk and plunk down on a 12-14 premium from TX or AZ. The Navi, BT, glass, steering wheel lock, USB, hill brake hold and other specific features start getting added in those years. They’re well cared for as most premium are enthusiast owned and have turned off the AFM. Almost every one has front cooled (not vented) seats. There’s a few RWD made if needed.

A BT Diesel module will add a ton more features as well as unlocking Video / Navi in Motion. Like the LTZ or Denali trim you’ll have the Mag Ride. Expect $250 a corner when the fail or $275 to replace with Arnott’s prods that’s guaranteed for life then be done with it forever knowing you’ll have a permanent limo ride on the 22’s.

We suspected gas price issues when we had our 08 YXL Denali in ‘14. In ‘20 when COVID hit the buyers market got us the one year only L9H / non AFM 09 Slade Platinum out of TX for $14k w/ 130k on the clock. Since that time here in Cali it’s almost 2x in value. E85 fill ups are still $80. Lastly, yes, a matching LWB or shorty bench will swap out to replace captains chairs. The Denali, Slade and some Tahoe are equipped with the bench seats that still have 2 heated seats on the outboard sides and power 60/40 fold.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy one when you get here. Snowbirds keep them here year round and you can pick up low mileage units down here in great condition a plenty.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What skpyle said. The premium trim will get you the front facia specific to the Platinum as well as the integrated dual exhaust tips at the rear with its amazing growl. It’s more subdued like the Denali trim but you’ll get the LED lamps most likely that last the life of the truck.

The Platinum has embroidered logo seats and Tehama leather that’s very uncommon to find a bench seat or even a donor. It’s more likely with a base or Premium. I keep mentioning premium trim because as you said they’re coming up more often. It’s due to fuel costs. Newer models w/ the 10 SP trans get about 20% better milage. The price won’t ever come down on a premium because they’re almost at collectors status because of the rear valence exhaust and have most of the Platinum trim options with less chrome.

Lastly the premium has the tricoat paint that isn’t prone to lose its clear coat. It doesn’t have the Platinum leather appointed dash but if you ever have cracking issues the Platinum leather dash bolts in with less than an hour’s time.

Lurk and plunk down on a 12-14 premium from TX or AZ. The Navi, BT, glass, steering wheel lock, USB, hill brake hold and other specific features start getting added in those years. They’re well cared for as most premium are enthusiast owned and have turned off the AFM. Almost every one has front cooled (not vented) seats. There’s a few RWD made if needed.

A BT Diesel module will add a ton more features as well as unlocking Video / Navi in Motion. Like the LTZ or Denali trim you’ll have the Mag Ride. Expect $250 a corner when the fail or $275 to replace with Arnott’s prods that’s guaranteed for life then be done with it forever knowing you’ll have a permanent limo ride on the 22’s.

We suspected gas price issues when we had our 08 YXL Denali in ‘14. In ‘20 when COVID hit the buyers market got us the one year only L9H / non AFM 09 Slade Platinum out of TX for $14k w/ 130k on the clock. Since that time here in Cali it’s almost 2x in value. E85 fill ups are still $80. Lastly, yes, a matching LWB or shorty bench will swap out to replace captains chairs. The Denali, Slade and some Tahoe are equipped with the bench seats that still have 2 heated seats on the outboard sides and power 60/40 fold.

The LED lamps were not standard on all Premiums. I think they were option in 2012 but may have been standard for 2013 and 2014. The dual exhaust was optional in 2012 for the Platinum so it maybe also for the Premium, most Platinums seem to have it but I've seen a number that don't.

As far as I know, a bench was not an option on a Platinum.

The Premiums do not have any special paint compared to other trim levels. I would tend to agree the three-stage paints (tri-coat, tint coat) don't seem to be affected by the failing paint but the only colors that are three stage are the White Diamond, Infrared, and Crystal Red. Even being a premium color doesn't keep you safe, my 2013 is Carbon Flash Metallic and is going to the body shop Monday to get the roof, hood, fenders, and front fascia painted.

The Escalades do not have the cracking dash issue no matter the trim level. The defroster panel (the one up against the windshield) can crack because it is the exact same piece as a Chevy/GMC but is easy to replace compared to the actual dash panel that cracks in the others.

The reality is that most of these trucks were in fact NOT owned by enthusiasts, do NOT have the AFM disabled, and were NOT well looked after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts