Sagging front end 2004 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mysticstiles1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just recently picked up a 2004 Z71 Tahoe with 123k on the clock. One of the first things I noticed was the front end seemed lower than other Tahoe's/Suburban's I have owned, and the drivers side was noticeably lower than the passenger side. On past vehicles when I cranked the torsion bars, even minimally, it created a noticeable lift in the front. I crawled under the Tahoe to discover the drivers side torsion key adjuster screw was ******* in pretty pretty much all the way in, the passenger side was ******* in maybe half way. I ended up ordering a set of lift keys, installed them and had the same outcome, I was able to make it look decent side to side by screwing the drivers side in almost all the way, but the passenger side screw is minimally tightened and the front is still low, definetely lookes lower in the front than the rear. I took it apart and tried to index the keys differently, but there would be no way to install them, they are pointed toward the ground.

Is it possible to have a worn out torsion bar? Worn out opening where the in the lower control arm? Are there other suspension components that can cause the front ride height to be low?

Project Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Torsion bars are a spring in a basic sense so they can sag and wear but it is probably dependent on how the truck has been used. I would imagine plowing, or towing heavy loads would be harder on them. I wouldn't imagine that most trucks with 123k miles would experience bad torsion bar/bars but it is possible. Have you measure the heights to each wheel well? That would give you a reference of how different each side is (measure on flat ground of course).

Dannygtrr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any update on this? Iv read more of these and I am also getting more sag on driver side.

Twinsoffroad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also curious if anyone has a solution for the driver side lean. Mine is about 3/4” lower on the driver side front and rear measured from the fenders. I saw another forum someone mentioned replacing the swaybar links helped which did nothing for me. Might just add a 3/4” spacer on the rear left shock to see how that helps it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Also curious if anyone has a solution for the driver side lean. Mine is about 3/4” lower on the driver side front and rear measured from the fenders. I saw another forum someone mentioned replacing the swaybar links helped which did nothing for me. Might just add a 3/4” spacer on the rear left shock to see how that helps it.
A shock is there to absorb spring action and adding a spacer will have no effect. If it does, I will be completely surprised. The only shock that lifts is assisted with air or some other design.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently picked up a 2004 Z71 Tahoe with 123k on the clock. One of the first things I noticed was the front end seemed lower than other Tahoe's/Suburban's I have owned, and the drivers side was noticeably lower than the passenger side. On past vehicles when I cranked the torsion bars, even minimally, it created a noticeable lift in the front. I crawled under the Tahoe to discover the drivers side torsion key adjuster screw was ******* in pretty pretty much all the way in, the passenger side was ******* in maybe half way. I ended up ordering a set of lift keys, installed them and had the same outcome, I was able to make it look decent side to side by screwing the drivers side in almost all the way, but the passenger side screw is minimally tightened and the front is still low, definetely lookes lower in the front than the rear. I took it apart and tried to index the keys differently, but there would be no way to install them, they are pointed toward the ground.

Is it possible to have a worn out torsion bar? Worn out opening where the in the lower control arm? Are there other suspension components that can cause the front ride height to be low?
A Chilton repair manual is available for down load on this site. Scetion 10-4 explains with picts how to inspect, replace and adjust the torsion bars. Remember that previous owners may have modified components and replaced components with non-oem parts and you may have to start with idinitifing (cant spell identifying,) and start over with correct parts to get near factory set up and performance.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Use the search feature to locate many conversations regarding the front suspension of Tahoe and yukon behicles (same as vehicles.) Appears as if some members are reluctant to repost data and information just posted last month.
Well, maybve new informaion (similar to information,) is needed.

The torsion bars are steel bars forged with a hex section on each end to provide holding relative load of torsion. The hex allows for longitunidal movement avoid loads to the length of the bar. the hex is ellipitical as well to avoid additional torsion parasitic loads caused by the torsion load by one end of the bar is fixed at the rear crossmember, but the other end is fixed to the lower control arm which pivots around a different axis than the torsion bar axis. Now the bar is forged from a carbon steel and all steels have an elastic range and when loaded, stretch, twist, or change dimension and when load decreased, return the the unloaded dimension. Steel also has a plastic range and when load exceeds the elastic range the steel yields and when the loads is decreased, the unloaded deminsion is now different. If you want to learn and understand the torsion bar suspension, search for 1957 Desoto cars, memory kicked in make that 1957 . Desoto was the first to design and offer torsion bar suspenson in 1955. ok so back to the future and apply this informatin to your vehicle. The Desoto cars and International travelall vehicle bars pivoted on the same axis as the lower control arm and did not need the ellipitical feature.
NOW The bars may have been over loaded by intention or accident and may not ever return to the as installed dimension and provide new performance.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC