Rust prevention

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NastyNate98

Reaction score
I just bought a rust free, super clean 98 tahoe two door. I flew to denver and drove it 500 miles home to omaha. Problem is everything gets rusty here. There is a shop in town that will apply POR 15 to my frame and also spray my rockers and wheel wells with some sort of rust inhibitor for 500 bucks. Kind of expensive, but the last thing I want is this clean hoe to get rusty. What would you guys recommend? I'll post some pics of my new ride tomorrow. I looked for 3 months before I found the right one and I couldn't be happier!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can brush the same type of inhibitors on yourself and I think there’s a spray also. It takes a while so if you don’t want to be under it for a few hours I’d go with it do they offer a warranty ? If so even better

OP
OP
NastyNate98

NastyNate98

Reaction score
I use Fluid-Film. Amsoil MP works good for inside the doors and sills.

Awesome! I may try to apply this myself. Only problem is we are averaging about 20 degree temps here in Nebraska right now and the Hoe doesn't fit in my tiny garage (too tall).

OP
OP
NastyNate98

NastyNate98

Reaction score
You can brush the same type of inhibitors on yourself and I think there’s a spray also. It takes a while so if you don’t want to be under it for a few hours I’d go with it do they offer a warranty ? If so even better

They offer a 10 year warranty if the vehicle being serviced is brand new. So I think a warranty is out of the question for a 21 year old truck, unfortunately!

iCajun

Reaction score
Luckily I’ve never tried to rustproof in the winter, I’m in Wisconsin. Fluid Film looks feels and smells like hand lotion, it does not dry or harden, and goes on with what seems to be a modified paint sprayer. I’ve only been using it for 5 years but it has worked well so far, I respray underneath almost every year, a light coat, takes an hour or so per vehicle. I initially sprayed both underneath and inside the doors and body panels which took me several hours. I found a Unibit drills nice clean holes in sheet metal and a cheap Harbor Freight paint sprayer is almost useless. The hand lotion smell in the interior of the Suburban and Impala took a long time to go away so I used a can of Amsoil MP inside the Tahoe doors, sills and barn doors. The solvent smell went away after a few days.

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$500 is not that bad when taking into consideration all the prep work your supposed to do to apply por 15. Assuming they are doing it right i would consider it. It seems reasonable

kanz24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This product takes the place of the fluid film. Fluid film stays soft and never hardens. Also fluid film collects dust. I used it this winter and love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak