Runs like crap after plug change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
Ok so it turns out it was not the plugs but the wires...more specifically the connection between the wires and the plugs. Long story short the connections on 2 plugs were loose. It was hard to notice...wasn’t arcing or anything...but the wires seemed slightly loose. Basically I just reshaped the connectors a bit and after that everything snapped together. Truck seems to run perfectly now.

...other than the down stream o2 sensors which are both pegged ~800mv and the short term fuel trims which bounce between 0 and -4% but mostly between 0 and -.7%

I guess next thing is to swap the o2 sensors.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so it turns out it was not the plugs but the wires...more specifically the connection between the wires and the plugs. Long story short the connections on 2 plugs were loose. It was hard to notice...wasn’t arcing or anything...but the wires seemed slightly loose. Basically I just reshaped the connectors a bit and after that everything snapped together. Truck seems to run perfectly now.

...other than the down stream o2 sensors which are both pegged ~800mv and the short term fuel trims which bounce between 0 and -4% but mostly between 0 and -.7%

I guess next thing is to swap the o2 sensors.

OK so that would cause an issue....

brichter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
S2s are post-cat, and not really indicative of driveability issues. For those issues, look at the S1 readings.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can be hard to get the wires to snap onto the plugs and even harder to know when they do. Dilectric grease like mentioned helps but twisting and pushing at the same time also helps. Glad you got it figured out. I always put the wires on the plugs, then onto the coils so I can twist them onto the plugs.

LARRY M VANDIVIER

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ive had this problem for some time my self if gm knows of this i guess vortec has same issues no only ls gm need to do a recall way to many
problems in this area .

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive had this problem for some time my self if gm knows of this i guess vortec has same issues no only ls gm need to do a recall way to many
problems in this area .
Exactly what issue are you referring to which would warrant recalling 15-20 year old vehicles? The OP discovered he didn’t have the spark plug wires snapped all the way onto the plugs which was the reason for misfires.

Sweetie101

Reaction score
THey all,

03 'hoe 5.3 flex...

Decided to do some routine maintenance on the beast - plugs, wires, air filter - and afterwards the engine is running like crap, most notably at idle. On the highway the truck seems to have power and is smooth...at idle the engine runs slightly lumpy and, listening to the exhaust, it is obvious that there is a misfire.

I hooked up my scanner and go the reliable p0300 code but that does not tell me much. I cannot see it being the intake manifold gasket because I've changed that and because I tested it by spraying carb cleaner around the engine with no change; it doesn't seem like there is a vacuum leak at all. The live data on the scanner shows a defective O2 sensor on B1S2 (pegged at about 835mv). The other sensors seem fine though B2S2 seems a bit sluggish. The fuel trims are slightly negative ~ -3.5 on average. Would a -3.5 stft really cause a noticeable issue?

The engine seemed to run fine with the old plugs, single Platinum NGK plugs that were in it. I changed them because they were old and the center electrode was essentially gone on all of them. I changed the plug wires because some of them ripped when I removed them.

Parts used:

Air filter: regular fram filter

Plug wires: NGK

Plugs: Bosch 8104 Double Platinum

I see that many recommend only using the AC Delco plugs so that may be the issue. Other than that, I did not check the gaps on the plugs when I installed them. I assumed they were at the right .40 as the box says and threw them in. I guess I should check that. Next I will replace the fuel filter becuase I am quite sure it has not been replaced in 60,000 miles.