Runs like crap after plug change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silky28

Reaction score
THey all,

03 'hoe 5.3 flex...

Decided to do some routine maintenance on the beast - plugs, wires, air filter - and afterwards the engine is running like crap, most notably at idle. On the highway the truck seems to have power and is smooth...at idle the engine runs slightly lumpy and, listening to the exhaust, it is obvious that there is a misfire.

I hooked up my scanner and go the reliable p0300 code but that does not tell me much. I cannot see it being the intake manifold gasket because I've changed that and because I tested it by spraying carb cleaner around the engine with no change; it doesn't seem like there is a vacuum leak at all. The live data on the scanner shows a defective O2 sensor on B1S2 (pegged at about 835mv). The other sensors seem fine though B2S2 seems a bit sluggish. The fuel trims are slightly negative ~ -3.5 on average. Would a -3.5 stft really cause a noticeable issue?

The engine seemed to run fine with the old plugs, single Platinum NGK plugs that were in it. I changed them because they were old and the center electrode was essentially gone on all of them. I changed the plug wires because some of them ripped when I removed them.

Parts used:

Air filter: regular fram filter

Plug wires: NGK

Plugs: Bosch 8104 Double Platinum

I see that many recommend only using the AC Delco plugs so that may be the issue. Other than that, I did not check the gaps on the plugs when I installed them. I assumed they were at the right .40 as the box says and threw them in. I guess I should check that. Next I will replace the fuel filter becuase I am quite sure it has not been replaced in 60,000 miles.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which wires Did you get? I seem to recall a difference between the wires depending on whether you have the round or the squarish coils. Also how many miles on your rig? Did you clean the MAF? Can you see if misfire data on your scanner? As in live misfire counts?

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
The bus has about 200,000 miles on it. I did not clean the MAS and I got the right plug wires for the coils. I have the round coils that part number end in like 2018.

scanner does not show misfires unfortunately. I am going to try and isolate the misfiring xylinder(s) with an infrared heat gun. Ie look for cylinders that are below the temp of the others.

it’s obviously not a serious misfire because There is plenary of power on the road...

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
Pull the BOSCH plugs out and put in NGK , AC or ND.....Bosch plugs work like SZHIT in the LS engines.....

can you recommend some cheap copper plugs I can put in temporarily just so I can make sure that is in fact the problem before I buy more plugs?

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No these engines require Platinum plugs.

On the 2004-6 GTO forum we had numerous members try the Bosch plugs with same issues. Put the old plugs back in.....

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PCM is detecting a crankshaft rotation speed variation indicating a misfire sufficient to cause emission levels to exceed mandated standards.

Bad gaps, janky plugs.

Does your scan tool tell you which one is misfiring?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
At night, start it up and open the hood. Watch for the light show.

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
No these engines require Platinum plugs.

On the 2004-6 GTO forum we had numerous members try the Bosch plugs with same issues. Put the old plugs back in.....

I was under the understanding that the only reason they used platinum plugs was for the extra lifespan and that coppers work just fine but need replacing much more frequently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne