Running rich after replacing all injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s either an injector seal or the intake manifold. I’m going to pull it and seat the injectors on the manifold properly off the car and just replace the gasket while I’m at it. How common is it to replace the upper intake gasket?
Not common but it's relatively easy.

The thing that seems to trip people up with getting the manifold off is forgetting to release the fuel pressure in the fuel rail (key off, obviously) before trying to get the fuel rail separated from the fuel line. Removing the manifold is a 20 minute job once you've done it a few times. The gaskets themselves clip onto the bottom of the manifold and should be reusable, so unless the manifold were removed to do the injectors, I would suspect a torn or improperly seated injector o-ring.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably not this, but think about checking it to rule it out: read the alcohol content of the fuel. If you have a flex fuel engine and are not running E85, and the alcohol content reads more than 10%, reset it. That will also reset the LTFTs (which I see you've already done).

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it’s a seal. When I was spraying the intake what I couldn’t see is the brake clean was pooling up over the intake and getting sucked through the injector seal in the intake. It’s annoying cause I lubed the seals before putting them in. Oh well lol.
Thanks for following up and I'm glad you have your smoking gun!

OP
OP
R

RocketcCutlass

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright… it’s still doing the same thing. I doused the intake and injectors in brake clean and there’s definitely no vacuum leak in that area now. I checked around for other leaks and I don’t see anything. When I put the range module in thought all is well. I don’t get it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright… it’s still doing the same thing. I doused the intake and injectors in brake clean and there’s definitely no vacuum leak in that area now. I checked around for other leaks and I don’t see anything. When I put the range module in thought all is well. I don’t get it.
It's probably worth a call or email to Range to see what they say. My guess is that the Range device only masks the problem by suppressing the code that would throw the CEL while it's plugged in. They've made a number of firmware updates to the devices to prevent the CEL in certain scenarios.

Did you investigate @Fless 's suggestion above? Another possibility for a vacuum leak is the vacuum brake booster hose - are the connections tight on both ends? It could also be as James suggested that with the new injectors you have better fuel flow and it will take a while for the mapping tables to update themselves and 'settle down'. Should be no harm in driving it a week to see.

OP
OP
R

RocketcCutlass

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ll give it a try with the settling down. All of the connections are good. I can’t think of anything else it could be.

lgrw2288

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just curious, how much did you spend on the injectors? I only say this because I went through an issue where I had constant lean codes that should have pointed to an intake leak, but in the end it was counterfeit ACDelco injectors. Pissed me off to no end with how much testing I did (the “OEM” injectors that I bought even passed the resistance test too). I put my old ones back in and no more lean codes.

OP
OP
R

RocketcCutlass

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ordered the GM ones from Rock auto. The have the GM part numbers on them. The numbers matched the originals. I reseated the intake and retorqued it. Emptied a can of brake clean on it again. Nothing. And now there’s a hesitation off the line. It’s getting aggravating.

OP
OP
R

RocketcCutlass

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright… after driving forever it’s running rich on both banks. There are zero vacuum leaks. Is it really just the injectors flowing way more than it’s used to? I don’t know what I could be missing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN