Rotor and pads recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's about that time for me to change my rear brake so I was wondering what pads and rotors you guys recommend that would be about one notch better than OEM replacements? My front brakes seem to not be an issue but should I change them anyway because I'm changing the rear? a shop is charging me $150 for labor to change the pads and rotors

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's about that time for me to change my rear brake so I was wondering what pads and rotors you guys recommend that would be about one notch better than OEM replacements? My front brakes seem to not be an issue but should I change them anyway because I'm changing the rear? a shop is charging me $150 for labor to change the pads and rotors
Powerstop. I’ve put them on 3 vehicles so far and have been well pleased.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
People here rave about the Power Stop brakes and I have no reason to doubt them. I personally like the miles I have gotten on my AC Delco brake pads and rotors on my vehicles, so I will stick with them.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen the power stops but when I was comparing prices on different sites they were listed as Autospecialty so didn't know if it was a difference. are you guys using the oe replacement kit?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oe delco stuff will get you stock long lasting components. if you want similar stopping power but a bit longer lasting i suggest powerstop blank coated. stock type rotor its just coated so the rotor lasts longer. i believe centric also makes a similar rotor and is also a good notablr brand. if your after more bite powerstop z23 or z36. z23 is the stock upgrade and z36 is supposed to be thier hd kit. ive used both and didn't notice any real difference except the pads seemed slightly thicker. you can also opt for a little more cash upfront and get the full caliper rotor pads kit. the calipers are just stock units but they are powder coated.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I ended up taking my truck to a shop to change the rotors and brakes and I was in and out no problem. on my way home I felt like the truck was slowing down a little faster than usual. after I got home I noticed smoke coming from the brakes and I could tell it was burning hot so I called back the shop and told them what's going on and now they're telling it needs a new caliper on one side. is this something that just happens or am I being taken for a ride?

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
truck was fine when I brought it in just had noisy pads and decided to change the rotors just cause

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
They have to collapse the caliper pistons to be able to make room for the new pads. If there is a problem with collapsing, then they should have said so then but the collapse may have been no problem and the act of doing that caused an internal problem with the caliper. When you do the caliper, do both of them. They may just charge you parts and work with you on the labor. When I ran shops, I would have worked with the customer on something like this. Plus, the caliper hardware is suspect and should be new too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman