Roof holes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
I used old antennas to cover the holes. They have o-rings to seal against the body to prevent leaks, and do away with the stupid plastic plugs that eventually weather and crack:

2v2u8E9a8xJDYiP.jpg

The large flat antenna is, I believe a GPS antenna that I used to cover the light-bar hole, which was about an inch in diameter.

This is on our 2012 Caprice 9C1, but I have similar antennas on our '10 Tahoe. Luckily, the Tahoe didn't have light bar.

But if you want to get rid of the holes, I pay the shop the $1500. It's a fair amount of work, if done right, and if done right, should be permanent. If they're planning on epoxying a piece of metal on the underside and then skimming the surface with Bondo, then, yeah, $1500 is way out of line. If they're planning to fit and weld in a metal plug, that's not a bad price, IMHO.

Until you find someone that thinks you bought your 2012 Caprice for the wrong reason.... LOL

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have 12 or 13 holes in the roof of my burb. I dont know what satellites or spacecraft they were controlling from within there, but it looked like a block of swiss cheese. I still have the antenna mounts within the holes, and they were suprisingly keeping the water out, but I went a step further and bought these;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00474A1M2/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have an oring and once screwed on, I put a swab of silicone on each to prevent leaks even further.

I did consider buying a lot of 10-20 antenna nubs from ebay, but this ended up being a bit cheaper.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have 12 or 13 holes in the roof of my burb. I dont know what satellites or spacecraft they were controlling from within there, but it looked like a block of swiss cheese. I still have the antenna mounts within the holes, and they were suprisingly keeping the water out, but I went a step further and bought these;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00474A1M2/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have an oring and once screwed on, I put a swab of silicone on each to prevent leaks even further.

I did consider buying a lot of 10-20 antenna nubs from ebay, but this ended up being a bit cheaper.
That’s what I put on my Nmo antenna mount. Works great.

Yuta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
View attachment 215918 I was going to just put some of these on my roof.

View attachment 215917
I took out headliner (not as hard as you think) and used structural body adhesive with metal disks on underside of roof. Enough adhesive oozed through so that when I sanded it smooth I could prime and paint. Body shops do not weld panels anymore. Turned out perfect and you can't tell there were any holes unless you remove headliner.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nice find! If I didn't have access to old antennas, I might have gone that route, but hadn't seen those before your post. Our Caprice has 5 holes in it on the roof and trunk lid, our Tahoe has 2, and our Camaro has 2. I still have a plastic plug in the roof of the Camaro, so I might get one of those for it. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645