Rodents chewed up my lines to my EVAP charcoal canister

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe97

Reaction score
97 Tahoe EVAP charcoal canister.jpg
Some little critter (s) chewed up the lines and fittings into and out of my EVAP charcoal canister on my 97 Tahoe. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement canister as well as replacement lines in an out of it for a 97 Tahoe, 5.7 L 4x4?

I assume there are only 2 lines associated with the canister, one connected to the fuel tank (located) and one connected to the air cleaner (located) Does the purge valve remain open and accessible? I can't find any other line that would connect to it.

Is there any fuel vapor danger associated with not having this canister connected? Safe to drive? Thanks!

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the GM part numbers, maybe that’ll help in the search. Note that one of the lines (#3) varies for two or four wheel drive. If you’re doing the junkyard, the evap parts changed for 1998 and wouldn’t work in your 97. That third connection may be open - the diagram just shows two lines.

IMG_8774.png

IMG_8775.jpeg
IMG_8776.jpeg

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
Here are the GM part numbers, maybe that’ll help in the search. Note that one of the lines (#3) varies for two or four wheel drive. If you’re doing the junkyard, the evap parts changed for 1998 and wouldn’t work in your 97. That third connection may be open - the diagram just shows two lines.

View attachment 429103

View attachment 429106
View attachment 429105
Very helpful. Heading to Salvage Yard tomorrow. I expect I will find these canisters in the Suburban's of the same years as well as some of the pickups/

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, any 96 or 97 model truck/SUV should fit the bill for the canister. It looks like the hose across the intake can be from any 305 or 350. The one from the fuel tank needs to be from another 4x4- 305, 350 or 454. Not sure why… maybe it has a different bend in it or something.

I hope you found the rat!

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
Success at the "Pick Your Part". Pulled the identical fuel vapor charcoal canister off a 1996 GMC 1500 pickup (see bottom canister in photo). I was able to pull the metal feed line from the inline rubber hose coupling to the fuel tank and the plastic line that goes to the air cleaner as marked on the top of the canister but realized after the fact that these are not configured with the same bends as in my vehicle. So it is correct that a 4x4 recipient needs to match with a 4x4 donor for the metal line to have the same configuration. This '96 GMC 1500 was not a 4x4. My issue at the moment is the rubber end fitting on the plastic line from the air cleaner is way too small to slip on the larger port marked "air cleaner" on the canister. When I removed it from the canister on the '96 GMC 1500, that rubber fitting was actually attached to the smaller port marked "purge" and not to the larger port marked "air cleaner". A purge cap was over the larger port marked "air cleaner". Something seems off with these connections. Should I believe what is marked on the canister and make my connections accordingly or could these ports be mis-marked? Thanks for all comments.Tahoe fuel vapor canister replacement.jpg

Last edited:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a thread where someone posted a photo from a 96 canister. Mine is a 98, else I’d take a picture for you.

IMG_8778.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ericbath