Rodent Damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N9Phil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Yukon XL with 90000 miles I experience rodent damage a few weeks ago. I have really never heard of this problem until I experienced it
first hand. I normally repair my own vehicles but this time with 27 error codes I figured that it was time to go to the experts. I used Coffman Truck Sales in Aurora Il and they were outstanding. They suggested that I contact my insurance carrier which I never thought of doing. I ended up with a $250.00 deductible and the rest of the bill was covered. I now have rodent deterrents all around under the hood.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can thank some environmental regs for this.
A few years back was way worse, when the cable manufacturers first went to soy based insulation.
They have since added some stuff in the mix that is supposed to repel critters...but nothing is fool proof, and rats/mice/chipmunks are crafty...
Glad you got it fixed...

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
Note that a lot of dealers will want to replace the wiring harness when a rat chews through one wire. I've heard horror stories of $4,000 bills from BMW dealers on this issue. We had a rat chew threw a wire on my wife's Toyota - it was running on one less cylinder - which is a real issue when you're only starting with 4. It was repaired by splicing a new wire in for a couple hundred bucks.

DaveL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Yukon XL with 90000 miles I experience rodent damage a few weeks ago. I have really never heard of this problem until I experienced it
first hand. I normally repair my own vehicles but this time with 27 error codes I figured that it was time to go to the experts. I used Coffman Truck Sales in Aurora Il and they were outstanding. They suggested that I contact my insurance carrier which I never thought of doing. I ended up with a $250.00 deductible and the rest of the bill was covered. I now have rodent deterrents all around under the hood.
Similiar thing happened to me. We are surrounded by brush in California. Lots of rats around. They chewed a bunch of wires on a car that I left on the driveway for a couple of days. Insurance took care of it. I think it was around $3K in damage. Frustrating. I'll have to try some of the GENUINE Oil of Peppermint

Marty_S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Note that a lot of dealers will want to replace the wiring harness when a rat chews through one wire. I've heard horror stories of $4,000 bills from BMW dealers on this issue. We had a rat chew threw a wire on my wife's Toyota - it was running on one less cylinder - which is a real issue when you're only starting with 4. It was repaired by splicing a new wire in for a couple hundred bucks.
My Audi TQ is a magnet for rodents. It was running on 3 after new plugs went in and I've chased the rodents out twice. I don't use poisons because of house and barn cats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbris21

Latest posts